Coming up today
• After blanking Serbia 3-0 on Sunday, Sean Rooney of Wheaton and the U.S. men's volleyball team take on Germany. Watch it live, 10:45 a.m.-12:30 on NBC.
• Amy LePeilbet (Crystal Lake) and the U.S. women's soccer team are 2-0 against France and Colombia. Watch the match against North Korea live, 11:15 a.m.-1 p.m. on the NBC Sports Network
• Winnetka's Conor Dwyer (Loyola Academy), delighted with his 5th place finish in the 400 m freestyle, gets back in the pool for the 4x200 freestyle relay qualifying race. On TV: 9:30-10:15 a.m. Taped, NBC.
• Richard Oruche, of Bensenville and Fenton High School plays for the Nigeria basketball team today against Lithuania. No TV.
• The pride of Lake Forest, Matt Grevers, is Monday's big news: A gold medal for the U.S. and a world record.
• It was wild, but the U.S. water polo team (Melissa Seidemann, Hoffman Estates) got by Hungary 14-13 in this preliminary round. Next up: USA vs. Spain on Wednesday.
• Candace Parker (Naperville Central) had 14 points, 12 rebounds and four blocked shots as the U.S. women's basketball team flattened Angola, 90-38. Hope the Angolans got a group photo to take home as a souvenir. Tamika Catchings (Stevenson High School) had 7 points, 7 rebounds and 1 assist. Swin Cash (Chicago Sky) had 8 points and 3 assists. Also on the team, Sylvia Fowles, Sky. Next up: Turkey on Aug. 1.