A weighty issue
Most of the world's fat is concentrated in one place, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. They're looking at us, America.
Contact information ( * required )
A study this month from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine reveals just how much the 7 billion of us on planet Earth weigh -- and that North Americans more than pull their own weight.
The study, published in the journal BMC Public Health, took into account those who were overweight, defined as a body mass index of at least 25, and obese, with a body mass index of 30 or higher.
• 287 million metric tons: Total weight of the world's adults, based on data from the United Nations and the World Health Organization. (A metric ton equals about 2,200 pounds.)
• 15 million metric tons: The weight of overweight adults
• 3.5 million metric tons: The weight of obese adults
• 137 pounds: Average body mass worldwide
• 178 pounds: Average body mass of North Americans, who make up just 6 percent of the world's population but 34 percent of the world's weight due to obesity. In contrast, Asia has 61 percent of the world's population, but only 13 percent of its weight due to obesity.
Time to renew that gym membership?
Flaky, burned out and just all-around dull. These might be some of your summertime skin struggles, says website FabFitFun. It's the perfect time to erase any sign of dermal dilemmas. Well-known skin care expert Sonya Dakar offers these tips:
Transition your cleanser:With warmer weather approaching, your face wash is the No. 1 item in your skin care routine that you should switch out. Instead of a moisturizing cleanser, opt for a more clarifying, oil-absorbing cleanser. Also, skip cleansers with SLS, the same ingredient found in dishwashing soap and laundry detergent.
Exfoliate: No matter how much lotion you use, you're never going to have glowing skin if you don't exfoliate. Grab a gentle facial exfoliator and use it in the shower two to three times a week.
Moisturize when wet: It sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, but Dakar says that after showering, apply a high quality body oil on damp skin for the best absorption to get silky skin.
Work out with only SPF 30:When working out or playing outdoor sports, only wear an SPF 30. Skip all other skin care products -- you don't need them. And always be sure to wash your skin immediately after your workout to avoid bumps and breakouts.