Breaking News Bar
posted: 5/15/2012 5:55 PM

Mundelein District 75 teachers get two-year deal

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

Teachers in Mundelein Elementary District 75 have a new two-year contract, with wage increases slightly higher than in the current pact.

The school board on Monday night approved the agreement with the Mundelein Elementary Education Association for the period beginning July 1 and extending through June 30, 2014.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

According to the district, the new starting salary for teachers will be $34,373 compared to the current figure of $34,202.

For the 2012-13 school year, each teacher will receive a combined increase of 0.5 percent in salary plus a 2 percent "step" increase for experience for a total of 2.5 percent. In 2013-14, teachers will receive a combined increase of 1.5 percent plus a 2 percent step for a total of 3.5 percent.

The current agreement called for 2.25 percent increases in 2010-11 and 2.35 percent for the current school year.

"The agreement recognizes the teachers for the extra effort required for higher class sizes and fewer support services available as a result of the financial challenges," facing District 75, according to a statement from the administration.

According to the district, teachers will work four extra days before the start of the next school year to align lessons with new state standards and a new state test. They also will receive training to prepare for a new teacher evaluation system required in the upcoming school year by the Performance Evaluation Reform Act of 2010.

The district will contribute 1 percent more in dependent insurance coverage each year, from 35 percent to a maximum of 37 percent. Future retirement benefits are reduced but neither district nor teacher union officials were available Tuesday to provide details.

Finances have been an issue in the district the past four years.

"The new contract will continue to maintain the financial stability of the district while recognizing the efforts of its teachers," according to the administration statement.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.