Here are the basics for the preliminary auditions for Suburban Chicago's Got Talent to be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, June 7-9, at the Metropolis Performing Arts Centre, 111 W. Campbell St., Arlington Heights.
Rules and regulations
• Participants must register to audition by visiting metropolisarts.com/scgtauditions. Registration will open Friday, May 4.
• Audition spaces are limited and participants will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Participants must read and sign the Suburban Chicago's Got Talent policies and waiver and bring a signed copy to their audition.
• Participants must bring the entrance fee to their audition. Entrance fees: $5 for a solo act, $10 for a group act. Cash only.
• Participants must be available to perform at all of the following:
Top 20 show at Metropolis -- Sunday, July 8
Top 10 show at Metropolis -- Sunday, July 22
Top 5 show at Metropolis -- Sunday, Aug. 5
Winner Announcement at the Taste of Arlington Heights -- Saturday, Aug. 11
• Participants must prepare one routine of one to two minutes. Different requirements apply for bands.
• Limited slots are reserved for bands to audition, so early registration is encouraged to guarantee an audition slot. Each band will have 20 minutes to load in, two to three minutes to perform and 10 minutes to load out. Provided equipment will include monitors, six inputs, the vocal mics. Two crew members will be available to assist with load in and load out.
• Singers are required to sing a cappella or with live instruments only. Participant must supply own accompanist.
• All routines must be able to be performed in our theater space: 46½ feet wide, 21 feet deep, 20 feet high.
• Acts MAY NOT include fire, sharp objects, weapons, explosives (pyrotechnics), fogger, hazers or animals.
• Acts MAY NOT contain material that is sexually explicit, obscene, pornographic, violent (e.g., relating to murder, the sale of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discriminatory (based on race, sex, religion, natural origin, physical disability, sexual orientation or age), illegal (e.g. underage drinking, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane or harassing, each as determined by Suburban Chicago's Got Talent in its sole discretion.
• Participants younger than 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
• All participants must perform sober.
• All acts must be family-friendly as shows will be open to all ages.
• Only amateur acts will be seen. Acts with professional representation will not be eligible.
• Acts will be judged by a panel of judges selected by Suburban Chicago's Got Talent. All decisions of the judges are final. Acts will be scored on a 100 percent scale based on the following three criteria: Entertainment Value & Appeal (40 percent), Creativity (30 percent) and Ability (30 percent).
• Judges will select the 20 acts with the highest score to perform at the Top 20 show on Sunday, July 8. Suburban Chicago's Got Talent reserves the right to pick fewer than 20 acts, or to extend the auditions in its sole discretion if it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified entries. If there is a tie in number of votes, then the judges shall decide the Top 20 based on the scoring criteria. The same process will repeat to determine a Top 10, Top 5 and overall winner.
• Online voting will also determine an Audience Favorite during a select round. The winner will have the opportunity to advance in the contest.
• All participants must be available to perform at the performance dates listed. Performances for the Top 20, Top 10 and Top 5 shows will all begin at 7 p.m. The Winner Announcement performance will begin around 4 p.m. and will feature another performance from the Top 5 acts. Eligible participants will be notified of their call time closer to the show date.
Participants agree that Suburban Chicago's Got Talent may use any image, photograph, voice or likeness in its promotional materials and publicity efforts without additional compensation. Participants understand that these photographs, images, video or audio may be retouched or enhanced and may further be used in publications, print ads, electronic media (e.g., video, CD-ROM, Internet/WWW), or other media now known or hereafter created, anywhere in the world. Participants further understand that by participating in the photography or filming, they release Suburban Chicago's Got Talent and its representatives, licensees, employees, photographers and their designees from any and all liability for any violation of any privacy or proprietary rights.
For more details, visit metropolisarts.com/scgtauditions or call (847) 577-2121.