Breaking News Bar
updated: 10/20/2011 9:41 AM

No smoke detector in apartment where student died

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Associated Press

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Investigators say a resident had removed the smoke detector from the apartment where an Indiana University student died in an apartment building fire near the Bloomington campus.

A city Fire Department report released Wednesday says the tenant told investigators he had taken down the smoke detector the night before the Oct. 1 fire because it had been going off and was annoying him.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The Herald-Times reports (http://bit.ly/ni9p01 ) that investigators determined the fire was accidental and started near a ceiling light in the apartment below where 19-year-old Renee Ohrn of Gary was staying for the night and died from smoke inhalation.

Investigators reported finding smoke detectors in all other apartments in the building.

The fire destroyed 12 apartment units and displaced more than 20 students.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here