"Chicago Cubs: The Heart & Soul of Chicago"
John Scheinfeld is a terrific filmmaker who specializes in documentaries. He was born in Chicago and has put together a film that truly shows the love affair between the Chicago Cubs, the city and the fans.
Gary Sinise narrates this timeless film. And even if you're not a Cubs fan, you will enjoy this program. Lots of historical footage and great photos are included. There are fascinating interviews with players and celebrities. Cub legends explain what it meant to be a Cub, and we get one of the last interviews with Ron Santo. Others -- including George Will, Tom Ricketts, Joe Mantegna, Scott Turow and Dutchie Carey -- explain their devotion to the Cubs. The music adds to the foundation of the film and includes the sounds of Steve Goodman, Frank Sinatra, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Chicago and others.
There are four new MGM Musicals that are part of the Warner Archive Collection. The titles are:
• "Invitation to the Dance" -- Gene Kelly stars, directs and choreographs.
• "Yolanda and the Thief" -- Vincente Minnelli's beautiful-looking film stars Fred Astaire and Lucille Bremer.
• "Little Nellie Kelly" -- This film stars George Murphy, Charles Winniger and Judy Garland.
• "Thoroughbreds Don't Cry" -- This film features the first pairing of Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland.
"Louis Prima: In Person"
Louis Prima's career spanned for more than 50 years, and he has appeared in films, television, had hit records and sold out shows around the world. Fans will love this program as you'll relive classic performances with Keely Smith, Gia Malone and Sam Butera. The documentary was seen on PBS and features footage not seen for many years. There are many bonus features included.
"ESPN Films: 30 for 30 Limited Edition Collector's Set"
All 30 of the wonderful films are included in this set. The directors include Barry Levinson, Barbara Kopple, John Singleton, Steve James, Ron Shelton, Ice Cube and others. The 12-disc set includes "Muhammad & Larry," "The Trial of Allen Iverson," "The Legend of Jimmy the Greek," "Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks," "Who Killed the USFL" and five hours of bonus features.
Available next week
• "The Royal Wedding: William & Catherine"
• "Best of Dean Martin Variety Hour"
• "Johnny Reid Live: Heart and Soul"
• "Kids in the Hall: Complete Series"
• "Le Mans"
• "Public Speaking"
• "The Great Dictator: Criterion Collection"