Activate Your Free
Articles filed under DeMarne, Henri
Window air conditioners do not take up much space May 4, 2014 12:01 AM
Q. We want to put an in-the-wall air conditioner in the kitchen of a small summer home. The kitchen gets unbearably hot, even when just using the stove burners.
Drying out after a flood can cause additional issues Apr 27, 2014 1:01 AM
Q. I need some advice. Last October I had a drainpipe back up, which caused flooding in my finished basement and some of my first floor. I called my insurance company and it had a restoration company come out. That company removed sections of carpeting, drywall and insulation. Then workers brought in dehumidifiers and ran them for 11 days.
Energy-efficient housing is a worthy goal when done right Apr 20, 2014 12:01 AM
Q. I have a zero-net house with 16-inch-thick walls and have the same condensation problems, even on triple pane windows, as your recent reader from Vermont had.
Air flow, not gutters, is to blame for ice dams Apr 13, 2014 12:01 AM
Q: We have lived in Rolling Meadows for over 40 years and have always had problems with ice dams. All the articles we have read regarding ice dams state they are caused by water freezing and thawing, running down and backing up against the gutters. We have no gutters — and haven’t had any for 40 years.
Milsek polish superb at cleaning, protecting wood Apr 6, 2014 12:01 AM
Q. I just read your recommendations for Milsek as the best wood cleaner for cleaning greasy kitchen cabinets. That is what I am trying to do with mine — get the old grease off them. I am not planning on repainting — just cleaning.
Bathroom fans are creating a soggy mess in the attic Mar 23, 2014 12:01 AM
I have a two-story colonial built in the late 1970s in Shelburne, Vt. The two full baths upstairs have fans that just vent into the attic, which has blown insulation and a vent on each gable end.
Ice, mold and a lazy contractor cause some major problems Mar 14, 2014 11:43 AM
Q: I have a two-story home in the Pittsburgh area that was built in 1998. In 2012, we had a new roof installed due to a severe hailstorm. In December 2012, when I went into the attic to get my Christmas decorations, I noticed that the entire roof on one side was damp, black and covered with mold.
Ice in a microwave not normal Mar 9, 2014 12:01 AM
Q. The interior of my microwave has ice droplets in it right now because of the below-zero temperatures in northern Illinois. I’ve included a photo. The stove hood (below the microwave) is vented to the exterior of the home. Does the ice pose a danger to the microwave?
Shower panel systems have track record of reliability Mar 2, 2014 12:01 AM
Q. What do you think of the new panel shower systems? If they’re OK, do they work in old tub/shower areas with old tile?
Water’s high acidity requires a specialist’s attention Feb 23, 2014 12:01 AM
Q. Our house was built in 1967. Over the years, we’ve been having a problem with corrosion on the hot-water fittings, mostly around the faucets. It is green and the faucets get a thick buildup on them.
Clean cabinets thoroughly before attempting to paint them Feb 16, 2014 1:01 AM
What can I do to get greasy residue off wooden kitchen cabinets? The greasy buildup is from using aerosol spray cans to coat pans for cooking.
Constructing second wall should help quiet neighbor Feb 9, 2014 12:56 AM
Q. I am 79 years old, and my wife is 78. We recently moved into a condo. The fellow next door to us is a single man. We can hear him walking, partying, etc. Just wondered if this is normal for a condo?
Old concrete may have been attempt to trap air bubbles Feb 2, 2014 12:25 AM
Q. I have a friend who purchased a house that had been built in the 1940s or '50s. She is now having the bathroom completely “gutted.” The contractor told her that behind the existing walls in the shower area the original builder had put metal shavings (wire) with concrete then poured over this wire.
Cabinet cleaner can be removed after a few days Jan 26, 2014 12:18 AM
Q. You have spoken many times in your column about Milsek cleaner and what a great product it is. My daughter and her husband plan to paint their cabinets. I am sure the cabinets need to be cleaned before they can be painted. I bought a bottle of Milsek for them. I know it will shine cabinets, but will it also clean them in preparation for painting?
Metal garage doors weigh less than wood Jan 19, 2014 12:43 AM
Q. I am going to replace two 9-by-7-foot single garage doors in our 35-year-old raised ranch in the spring. I am being told that metal doors are not available in black; is that true? Also, I seem to remember in one of your columns that some of the door opener companies were having trouble with doors opening by themselves in cold weather.
Removing skunk spray stain will require some scrubbing Jan 5, 2014 12:15 AM
Q. I have a white car and a skunk sprayed my back bumper. I’ve tried everything possible to remove the yellow stain with no luck. Would you know what I could use to remove this?
Home repair: Identifying, fixing heat-loss issues could save money Dec 29, 2013 4:42 AM
Q. We have an older home that is supposedly well insulated. But there are voids, and we can’t tear off the siding and redo the whole house. So what can we do?
Black & Decker’s snake light won’t be ready for holidays Dec 22, 2013 12:32 AM
Q. Recently, you recommended a new Black and Decker Snake Light. Which model was it exactly? Seems like these lights would make a nice addition to our sons' tool collections and something very useful.
Ceramic tile is not the best choice for front stoop Dec 15, 2013 12:52 AM
Q. I’ve sent you pictures of the cracks in my front stoop. Can I ceramic tile over this or will the cracks appear in the new tile? I live in the Chicago area, so there are severe weather conditions.
Moisture within double-paned window inhibits the view Dec 8, 2013 12:31 AM
Q. We have a passive solar house built in Shelburne, Vt., during the “first” energy crisis in the 1970s It includes three large double-paned windows, directly facing south, of course. These are the original windows.
- Northwest suburban police blotter
- Caterpillar faces 'aggressive' challenge from Komatsu
- West Dundee man deemed sexually violent, will be committed
- Mayors protest Rauner cuts, learn they might lose funding sooner
- Images: 2015 Iditarod winner ... and some pretty cute dogs
- Constable: March Malaise for Illinois basketball fans
- COD hopefuls suggest review, changes at Waterleaf
- Would harder to crush pills help curb drug addiction?
- Constable: March Madness for Cricket World Cup
- Sayad looks like the better candidate
- Daily Herald back open for business; 'suspicious' mail not hazardous
- Strip club owner says she can class up Blackjacks
- Mayors protest Rauner cuts, learn they might lose funding sooner
- Lake Park can feel good despite defeat
- Geneva survives Lake Park in double overtime
- Stevenson earns return engagement downstate
- Once again Geneva finds a way to stay alive
- U-46 union president 'surprised' by layoff numbers
- Images: Geneva advances to state with a 2OT victory, 57-52 over Lake Park
- Sears Centre wants to host state basketball finals
- PROGRAMMER / ANALYST - Computer -Programmer/ Analyst needed for a software solutions company in Lisle, IL. Uses: Object-Oriented Design, Operating Systems, and Data Mining. Must have Masters Degree in Comp. Sci. or Info. Tech. Send resume to: The Thalerus Group,Attn: Jeannie Leung,4300 Commerce Court, Suite 200, Lisle, IL 60532 (id:4400331) PROJECT MANAGER AND SUPERINTENDENTS - Now hiring Construction Project Managers and Superintendents. Email your resume to email@example.com (id:4401406) CLEANING JOBS - Commercial cleaning: PT: Dolton, Elmhurst, Chicago, Gurnee, Arlington Heights, Bloomingdale, Hoffman Estates. FT: Libertyville. Shifts-rates vary by site. Req background chk, eligible to work in US. 847-913-0085. (id:4401192)
- DRIVER - DRIVERS wanted in and around Des Plaines area. FT/ PT approx $10.00/hr Call 847-871-0370 No DUI'S (id:4401275) INSIDE AREA MANAGER - Sales -Advance Lifts, Inc. a leading manufacturer of material handling equipment, has an opening for an inside Area Manager. The Area Manager will be responsible for distributor sales in a national territory. A degree and an industrial sales background are required. Salary, commission, 401K, and medical. Fax your resume to Advance Lifts in St Charles, IL at 630-584-9405 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org EOE M/F/D/V (id:4401449) TEACHER PRESCHOOL - Small, independent Preschool in Rolling Meadows, IL offering full and part day programs, looking for a full time 3-4 yr. old teacher. Must be teacher qualified. Familiar with all State and NAEYC accreditation standards. Full time year around position. Top salary and benefits based on qualifications. Call Sara at 847-991-7900 or email@example.com (id:4400186)
- ORTHODONTIC ASSISTANT - Dental F/T, Exp. Ortho dontic Asst. for friendly, busy office. Cheerful attitude a must Exp. pref'd but not req'd. M, T, Th, F 8-5; Sat 7:30-12:30. 847-255-3020; Fax 847-255-3036 (id:4400702) HOSPITALITY - Hospitality Medinah Country Club is hiring! Visit our website for our seasonal opportunities. www.medinahcc.org (id:4400820) DRIVERS - CDL A - Local Home Daily CDL A Drivers Bolingbrook Shuttle & Dedicated Routes 5 nights/week-new grads welcome www.shipdli.com or 651-638-5570 Dedicated Logistics (id:4401080)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.