Kane County to hold last document shredding event for 2021 on Oct. 23
Kane County Recycles is hosting a free confidential document shredding event between 8 a.m. and noon on Saturday, Oct. 23, at the Kane County Branch Court office at 540 S. Randall in St. Charles. Please arrive between these hours. Do not arrive early as you create the problem you are trying to avoid -- a long line that is not moving!
This is a confidential document shredding event. They are not recycling any other items at this event -- only shredding! It is the last shredding event for 2021.
They are not accepting already shredded documents at this event. You can bring documents that have already been shredded at home to Kane County Recycling Centers in Aurora, Batavia or West Dundee. Bring shredded paper in a paper bag stapled or lightly taped closed.
This is for residential material only, not for businesses (see list below for business service).
Follow these guidelines:
• Take time to sort your material making sure that it all truly contains confidential material.
• They accept: tax records, medical records, bank statements, or anything with your social security number on it.
• They do not accept: cash register receipts, magazines, empty envelopes, junk mail, kids school papers, photocopies of jokes, books, tissue paper or wrapping paper, photographs, CDs or floppy discs, credit cards, shoes, holiday decorations, plastic sleeves on files, plastic covered binders, or garbage. Please sort it out!
• Quantity limit is approximately equal to four banker boxes (12 inches wide x 16 inches deep x 10 inches high) but you can bring them in any kind of boxes or paper bags. No plastic bags please.
• Staples, paperclips, spiral bindings, file folders without metal, and envelope windows are fine to leave in.
• Remove all binder clips, three-ring plastic binders and any larger metal pieces.
This service provides on-site shredding trucks; there are 4 trucks scheduled for this event. Each truck holds 12,000 pounds of paper. Documents are cross-shredded into confetti-sized pieces as they are tipped into the shredding trucks.
Note that they will receive documents for shredding only until the trucks are full.
Do not bring any other items for recycling. This event is for document shredding only!
For details, visit www.countyofkane.org/Recycling/Pages/confidentialDocument.aspx.