Elgin encouraging alternative activities for Halloween
Halloween looks quite different this year. Given the pandemic, the City of Elgin and the Elgin Police Department do not encourage trick-or-treating.
Rather, residents should consider alternative activities, like attending the "Little Park of Horrors" drive-through event at Wing Park.
They understand that some families will still choose to participate in trick-or-treating, and they ask those who do to please adhere to the following safety recommendations:
• Limit your child's trick-or-treating to the hours of 4 to 8 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 31.
• Follow current COVID-19 safety precautions like wearing a mask or face covering (a costume mask does not count), practice social distancing and limit group size.
• Practice good hygiene like washing your hands and avoid touching your face.
• Young children should be accompanied by their parents or another responsible adult.
• One member of each group should carry a lighted flashlight, at dusk or afterwards.
• Make sure costumes do not limit mobility and have no visibility obstructions.
• Children should be dressed in light-colored costumes.
• Always walk on the sidewalk and cross the street at intersections.
• Bring candy and goodies home before eating any of them. Parents are urged to check all treats.
Residents should indicate their willingness to welcome children by keeping porch and exterior lights on during the 4 and 8 p.m. trick-or-treating hours on Oct. 31 and only serve wrapped candy. They ask that motorists be especially observant on Halloween and watch for costumed children who might not always be alert enough to be looking out for cars. Residents are also reminded to close and lock their garage and car doors to reduce the opportunity of theft and vandalism.
Elgin Police Chief Ana Laley thanks you in advance for assisting the city and the police on making this year's Halloween celebrations safe for the children in the community.
For more information, contact Molly Gillespie, communications manager, at 847-931-5613 or visit www.cityofelgin.org.