CLC announces shows for 50th production season
As the College of Lake County Theatre Department celebrates its 50th season in 2019-20, upcoming productions include a dramatic comedy incorporating '90s pop culture, a timeless Shakespearean comedy, the annual student showcase and an award-winning musical featuring Cinderella and other classic fairy tale characters.
The shows are "She Kills Monsters," Nov. 8-16; "As You Like It," Feb. 28 to March 7, 2020; "Play On! A CLC Theatre Student Showcase," April 10-19; and the summer musical, "Into the Woods," July 17-26.
All productions are held in the James Lumber Center for the Performing Arts on the CLC Grayslake Campus. Tickets are available in person at the Box Office, by phone at (847) 543-2300 or online, with pricing and discount information, at www.clcillinois.edu/tickets.
Theater auditions are open to the community and start at 6:30 p.m. Upcoming auditions include: "As You Like It," Dec. 2 and 3; "Play On," Feb. 3 and 4, 2020, Mainstage Theatre (CLC students only); and "Into the Woods," May 18 and 19. For audition information, visit www.clcillinois.edu/campus-life/arts or the theater Facebook page.
• "She Kills Monsters," by Qui Ngyuyen. Agnes leaves her childhood home in Ohio following the death of her teenage sister, Tilly. When Agnes finds Tilly's "Dungeons & Dragons" notebook, she stumbles into a journey of discovery and action-packed adventure in the imaginary world that was Tilly's refuge.
This high-octane, dramatic comedy, laden with homicidal fairies, nasty ogres and '90s pop culture, offers a heart-pounding homage to the geek and warrior in everyone.
Production dates: 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Nov. 8 and 9, and Thursday through Saturday, Nov. 14, 15,16; 2 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 10.
• "As You Like It" by William Shakespeare, directed by Craig Rich, will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Feb. 28 and 29, and Thursday through Saturday, March 5, 6, 7; 2 p.m. Sunday, March 1; and a high school matinee at 10 a.m. Friday, March 6. Immediately following the March 1 performance, the public is welcome to stay for a special reception celebrating 50 years of CLC Theatre.
• "Play On!" A CLC Theatre Student Showcase, at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, April 10-11 and 17-18; and 2 p.m. Sunday, April 19.
"Play On!" is a celebration of student creativity, talent and achievement. Join CLC students as they showcase their abilities as actors, directors, stage managers, designers and technicians.
Ideas for the showcase will be solicited in the fall semester and students will produce the work in the spring. It might be a full-length play, an evening of one-acts or even an original script; the students will decide.
• "Into The Woods" will be presented at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, July 17 and 18, and Thursday through Saturday, July 23-25; and 2 p.m. Sundays, July 19 and 26.
Once upon a time, a baker and his wife attempt to lift a witch's curse by journeying into the woods, where they meet Rapunzel, Cinderella, Jack, Little Red Riding Hood and other classic fairy tale characters. As the story unfolds, they all must learn the responsibility that comes with getting what you want.
The book is by James Lapine, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
To request sign language interpreting, contact the Box Office at least two weeks in advance. For group sales information, call (847) 543-2431 or email JLCGroupSales@clcillinois.edu.
For more information on tickets and BOGO free offers, call (847) 543-2300 or visit www.clcillinois.edu/tickets.
The Box Office is open noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 60 minutes before each performance at 19351 W. Washington St., Grayslake. Discounts are available for groups of 10 or more in advance.
For information, call (847) 543-2431 or email JLCgroupsales@clcillinois.edu.
• To submit Your news, go to dailyherald.com/share.