Aurora Navy League honors students at Pearl Harbor luncheon
The annual Pearl Harbor Day luncheon, sponsored by Aurora Navy League Council 247 and the Aurora Rotary Club, was held Dec. 10 at Gaslite Manor Banquets in Aurora.
The 49th annual luncheon honored Pearl Harbor survivors and World War II veterans.
Everett Schlegel of Elgin, an Army veteran, was the lone Pearl Harbor survivor honored.
Jeanne Ives, an Army veteran and state State Representative for the 42nd District, was the keynote speaker.
Ten Aurora area youth were honored with community service awards during the December luncheon.
The honorees are:
• Alaina Fleming, Rosary High School in Aurora;
• Emma Gatz, Metea Valley High School in Aurora;
• Shruti Kolli, Waubonsie Valley High School in Aurora;
• Cassandra Kuissi, Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy in Aurora;
• Robert McCarthy, Aurora Central Catholic High School;
• Araceli Mercado, West Aurora High School
• Javier Munoz, East Aurora High School;
• Fabian Rangel, Marmion Academy in Aurora;
• Christina Schulenberg, Aurora Christian High School;
• Janice Sefah, Yorkville High School.
The Aurora Navy League Council 247 hosts monthly dinner meetings on the third Tuesday of each month at Grandma's Table Restaurant in Montgomery.
The public is welcome, and reservations are not required. An after dinner speaker highlights each dinner, complete with question-and-answer period.