Cubs | Kimbrel just latest in long line of big-name closers acquired by Chicago Cubs, with mixed results
From Doug Jones to Rod Beck to Rick Aguilera and Aroldis Chapman, the Chicago Cubs have obtained their share of big-name closers over the years, and the results have been mixed.
Latest Sports Videos
White Sox | Chicago White Sox's Giolito to hitters who beef about inside pitches: That's your problemChicago White Sox starter Lucas Giolito almost hit Luke Voit in the face Friday night after the Yankees' first baseman homered in his first at-bat. Giolito said the pitch was an accident, but he also stressed the importance of throwing inside.
Columns | Rozner: Fathers, sons and a broken MLB pensionThere's something wrong with a system where ex-major league fathers are left out, but their sons who also played get a full pension.
White Sox | Bummer giving Chicago White Sox bullpen needed boostHow good has Aaron Bummer been out of the Chicago White Sox's bullpen this season? The left-hander earned his first major-league save Thursday night while lowering his ERA to 1.37.
Columns | O'Donnell: Resilient Mike Leiderman set to leave Chicago an unquestioned victorJim O'Donnell says stalwart broadcaster Mike Leiderman leaving Chicago for Florida.
Columns | Mike Jackson: Father's Day memories still fresh in my mindMike Jackson says fishing with his dad bring back nothing but fond memories.
Bulls | Lakers make trade for Davis without Bulls' helpThe NBA offseason got off to a blazing start Saturday when the Los Angeles Lakers agreed on a trade to acquire Anthony Davis, according to espn.com. The Bulls. rumored to be a possible third team in the deal, were not involved.
Columns | Women's Watch: All this being offended by everything is a bit offensivePatricia Babcock McGraw asks why we can't make sporting events offensive-free zones.
College Sports | Gray, Sparks used big third quarter to beat Mercury 85-68Chelsea Gray had 21 points and a season-high nine assists, Nneka Ogwumike scored 12 of her 16 points in the second half and the Los Angeles Sparks pulled away in the third quarter to beat the Phoenix Mercury 85-68
Cubs | Buehler scheduled to start for Los Angeles against ChicagoThe Cubs will play the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium
MLB | Sale fans 10 to help resurgent Red Sox beat Orioles 7-2Chris Sale struck out 10 over six sharp innings, J.D. Martinez homered in a third straight game and the surging Boston Red Sox beat the Baltimore Orioles 7-2
- Prep SportsCary-Grove's Priester took a risk, but it paid off in the end
- Boys' BasketballStrengths of Naperville North's Welch? A lot
- Prep FootballSwitching from baseball to track a solid decision for Antioch's Grindley
- Girls' BasketballBy design, Elk Grove's Kandefer stood out in sports and academics
- Girls' BasketballWest Aurora's Miles overcame adversity to excel
- Prep FootballWheeling's Best was best at a lot, but also was the best teammate
- Girls' BasketballGlenbard South's Bair more than just a great athlete
- Prep SportsSuburban high school athletes lauded for both athletic and compassionate feats
- Prep SportsStevenson's Sorenson doubled her fun
- NewsImages: Daily Herald Prep Sports Excellence Awards
- Prep SportsBaseball: Heartbreak for St. Charles North in 4A title game
- Prep SportsImages: St. Charles North vs. Edwardsville, Class 4A State Championship in Baseball
- Prep SportsBaseball / Final Top 20
- Prep SportsImages: Huntley vs. St. Charles East, Class 4A State Championship in Softball
- Prep SportsImages: St. Francis vs. Sycamore, Class 3A State Championship in Softball