Saturday, March 25, 2023
Bulls | DeRozan sits out, but Bulls have no problems in Portland
DeMar DeRozan was sidelined by a right quad strain for the Bulls opening stop of a three-game West Coast trip. But Zach LaVine scored 33 points and the Bulls rolled to an easy win over a depleted Portland team on Friday.
Latest Sports Videos
Bears | Blackhawks | Bulls | Cubs | White Sox
Bears | Ranking Bears' positions of need ahead of NFL draftAlthough the Bears spent a lot in free agency, they still have plenty of areas that need to be shored up before the 2023 season. Below are the four biggest positions of need heading into next month's draft.
College Sports | Miami beats No. 1 seed Houston; all four top NCAA seeds outNijel Pack and Miami hit shots from near and far against the stingiest defense in the country to beat Houston 89-75 in the Sweet 16, leaving the NCAA Tournament without a single No. 1 seed among its final eight teams for the first time since seeding began in 1979.
White Sox | Headed by Cease, White Sox's starting rotation shapes up as a strengthDylan Cease has rocketed to the top of the White Sox's starting rotation after finishing second in AL Cy Young Award voting last season. Mike Clevinger joins the Sox this year, and he'll replace Johnny Cueto.
Boys' Gymnastics | Boys gymnastics facing uncertain future as IHSA sportBoys gymnastics could be making its last handstand.
Cubs | Cubs trim roster, send Mervis to minorsThe Cubs reduced their spring roster to 41 Thursday, sending 10 players to the minor leagues, including Matt Mervis, David Bote and Nelson Velazquez. The Cubs rolled past Arizona 11-1 in spring training action behind nice outings from pitchers Hayden Wesneski and Keegan Thompson.
Blackhawks | AP: Blackhawks will not wear Pride-themed jerseys before Sunday's gameA source cites security concerns involving a Russian law that expands restrictions on activities seen as promoting LGBTQ rights.
Bears | Bears sign free agent linebacker Dylan ColeThe Bears signed veteran linebacker Dylan Cole to a one-year deal, the team announced Thursday. Cole, 28, is a six-year NFL veteran who played the last two seasons with the Tennessee Titans after four years with the Houston Texans.
Bulls | Bulls coach Donovan recalls his college years, filled with three-a-day practices with PitinoThe Bulls flew West on Thursday, with DeMar DeRozan and Alex Caruso both listed as questionable for Friday's game in Portland. It was an interesting contrast to coach Billy Donovan's description of his no limits practice schedule during his college days at Providence with Rick Pitino.
Bears | What does Bears' depth chart look like following free agency?Last week was a busy one for Bears general manager Ryan Poles. He set about fortifying his team's roster. While free agency remains ongoing, the attention is generally turning toward next month's NFL draft. So what exactly does the 2023 Bears roster still need?
Pro Sports | Mock draft roundup: Who do experts think Bears will select at No. 9?The most popular name: Peter Skoronski from Northwestern.
- 10:03 AMDaily Herald opinion: We need to keep watch on officials, but assuming sinister motives weakens our democracy
- 9:09 AMHere's a look at what to expect this spring for some of the top boys volleyball teams in the suburbs.
- 9:18 PMBaseball: CL South's Tilley perfect in pitching debut
- 9:10 PMBaseball: Payton, Burlington Central power past Larkin
- 9:05 PMSoftball: Gatz powers Oswego East past Metea Valley
Recommended for You
- Boys' GymnasticsBoys gymnastics facing uncertain future as IHSA sport
- Prep SportsBaseball: Cary-Grove's Dorchies, CTaczy combine to fan 13 against Johnsburg
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Geneva reaches its breaking point, beats Neuqua Valley
- Prep SportsSoftball: Grayslake North struggles to catch up with Mosolino's speed
- Prep SportsSoftball: Several area teams ready for a road trip
- Prep SportsBaseball: Sycamore knocks off Burlington Central
- Prep SportsBostrand, Flores combine for no-hitter in Marmion's win over St. Charles North
- Prep SportsBoys lacrosse: York finds scoring touch, downs Huntley 12-8
- Prep SportsGirls track: 'One step over the cone' makes the difference at CSL South indoor championship
- Des PlainesLoyola Academy grad, dad named new Ramblers football coach
- Prep SportsBuffalo Grove's Kelly enjoys challenge of being a 3-sport coach
- Prep SportsGlenbrook North baseball shows plenty of good things to build on
- Prep SportsHere's a look at what to expect this spring for some of the top boys volleyball teams in the suburbs.
- Prep SportsBaseball: CL South's Tilley perfect in pitching debut
- Prep SportsBaseball: Payton, Burlington Central power past Larkin