Cubs | Velocity deficit continues to hamper Cubs
While the Cubs were blanked by the Miami Marlins on Sunday at Wrigley Field, their team-wide deficit in pitching velocity continues to be an issue. But there might be some help on the way.
Latest Sports Videos
White Sox | White Sox pound out 15 hits, beats Texas 8-2 for series splitAndrew Vaughn had a two-run home run among his three hits, Luis Robert hit a two-run double, and AJ Pollock had two doubles in a three-hit game as the White Sox beat the Texas Rangers 8-2 on Sunday to split a four-game series.
Bears | Five things on the Bears: Who's stepping up, Williams' blitz philosophy and moreThroughout the first week and a half of Chicago Bears training camp there's probably been too much emphasis on how Justin Fields and the offense is performing. So after hearing defensive coordinator Alan Williams speak after Sunday's practice this is the perfect time to focus on the other side of the ball. Here are five things that stood out from Williams' session with the media.
Bears | Bears training camp notes: Fullback Khari Blasingame is cool with being old schoolAfter four years of Matt Nagy's pass-happy imitation of the Kansas City Chiefs, the Bears are going back to the ground game. Nothing shows that more than the addition of a fullback over the offseason.
Cubs | New Cubs pitchers have mixed results in minorsTwo starting pitchers acquired by the Cubs before the trade deadline had mixed results in the minors this weekend. Hayden Wesneski gave up 8 runs in less than 2 innings for Iowa, but Ben Brown allowed just 1 run and struck out 9 fpr Tennessee on Saturday.
Sky | Sky hold off Sun, set franchise win recordCandace Parker scored 18 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and tipped a pass to Emma Meesseman for a 3-pointer in the closing seconds to help the Sky beat the Connecticut Sun 94-91 Sunday to set the franchise record for wins in a season.
Bears | Bears training camp: Rain keeps practice short, indoorsTraining camp is back in full force and the NFL season is right around the corner. Each day during Bears training camp, Shaw Local will grade the Bears' offensive and defensive performances.
Sports | Aces spoil Sue Bird's retirement party, topple Storm 89-81A'ja Wilson scored 29 points, Kelsey Plum added 16 including a key 3-pointer in the final minute, and the Las Vegas Aces spoiled the final regular season home game for Sue Bird beating the Seattle Storm 89-81 on Sunday.
White Sox | Real deal: How White Sox starter Dylan Cease has become one of baseball's bestAfter taking a step up last season, White Sox starting pitcher Dylan Cease has taken off this year. The right-hander is 12-4 with a 1.98 ERA and he's set a major-league record by allowing 1 earned run or less in 13 straight starts.
Cubs | McGraw: Cubs need to use caution before calling up more prospectsDrew Smyly and Mark Leiter Jr. combined to throw a shutout as the Cubs won their second straight over the Miami Marlins 4-0 at Wrigley Field on Saturday. Catcher P.J. Higgins hit his 5th home run.
Columns | High school basketball game the spark for Radtke's careerA 48-year career winds down for longtime Daily Herald High School Sports Editor John Radtke.
- 2:01 AMNationals take 5-game losing streak into matchup with the Cubs
- 2:01 AMYankees face the Mariners looking to break road losing streak
- 2:01 AMOrioles host the Blue Jays to start 3-game series
- 2:01 AMAngels visit the Athletics to open 3-game series
- 1:56 AMJags' Etienne completes comeback by getting leveled in camp
- Prep SportsHigh school basketball game the spark for Radtke's career
- Boys' BasketballRolling Meadows' Christie chooses Minnesota
- Prep FootballWheaton North enters 2022 season with target on its back
- Prep FootballCarlson, Kaneland set to take next step
- Prep FootballGerke's role expanding at Batavia
- Prep FootballQB Reichert looking to return Downers Grove North to playoffs
- Prep SportsJacobs selects 5 to 2022 Hall of Fame class
- NewsMaine East grad returns as new hoops head coach
- Boys' BasketballBenet shows it belongs with impressive June performance
- Boys' BasketballNew group at Glenbard West has big shoes to fill
- NewsIt's Anthony Kopp's time
- NapervilleFormer Naperville Central, Wheaton College coach Bishop 'was ahead of his time'
- Prep SportsDundee-Crown announces this year's Hall of Fame Class
- Boys' BasketballYork's Hardek adjusts to bigger role
- Boys' BasketballSt. Charles East looking for bounce back season