Friday, June 9, 2023
White Sox | Boom and bust: White Sox settle for split against Yankees
The White Sox hit 4 home runs during Thursday's 6-5 win over the Yankees in Game 1 of a doubleheader in New York. In Game 2, the Sox managed only 2 singles in a 3-0 loss.
Latest Sports Videos
Bears | Blackhawks | Bulls | Cubs | White Sox
Cubs | Cubs Morel and Mervis are mired in slumps. Should manager David Ross do anything to help?Figuring out how to break new players into the major leagues is probably one of the most difficult jobs for managers like the Chicago Cubs' David Ross. And it's especially difficult when they're slumping.
Columns | Arkush: The Bears have a better receiving corps. Can Justin Fields take advantage of that?The Bears made a serious effort to improve its receiving corps and dramatically improve the ability and production of the players they already had this offseason.
Columns | Jim O'Donnell: Acclaimed broadcaster Pang will join Blackhawks booth next seasonMultiple sources are reporting that acclaimed NHL broadcaster Darren Pang will join the Blackhawks TV booth for the 2023-24 season.
College Sports | Swarbrick to step down as Notre Dame's AD next year; NBC Sports' Bevacqua will take overJack Swarbrick will step down as Notre Dame's athletic director next year after a 16-year run in which he helped the school maintain the football program's independent status amid unprecedented realignment by some of the top conferences in the nation.
Columns | Len Ziehm: If LIV-PGA merger brings peace, it could be a good thing for the golf worldThe LIV-PGA "merger" may be a step toward peace in the golf world -- and that's a good thing. It's not a merger yet, though. It might be called a truce, because it was at least a way for the three tours to eliminate the costly litigation that would have soon ensued. There's a long, long way to go before there's anything that might bring golfing peace, however.
Special Report | After meeting with Chicago and Naperville mayors, Bears president coming to Arlington HeightsNew Chicago Bears President and CEO Kevin Warren's introductory tour of the city and suburbs continues when he comes to Arlington Heights for a community conversation June 26.
Pro Sports | Three Boomers' pitchers combine for first no-hitter in franchise historyJackson Hickert threw seven no-hit innings, finishing just shy of 100 pitches.
Sky | Sky doesn't plan to turn down pressure, despite just eight healthy playersDespite having just eight players available in the last two games, the Sky pulled off two comeback victories. Alanna Smith's layup just before the final buzzer sent Tuesday's home game to overtime and the Sky went on to beat Indiana 108-103.
Bears | 'I want to be the starter': Big year lies ahead for Bears RB Khalil HerbertThe Bears allowed running back David Montgomery to walk away in free agency, but invested heavily in the position by bringing in free agents D'Onta Foreman and Travis Homer, as well as rookie draft pick Roschon Johnson. It has been a nearly complete overhaul at the position with one big exception: Khalil Herbert.
Chicago | Bears have video chat with Chicago mayor ahead of possible stadium talksBrandon Johnson didn't say what he is prepared to do to keep the Bears in Chicago amid their courting of Arlington Heights and Naperville.
- 12:06 AMTaillon finds success using 4-seam fastball more, but big inning dooms Cubs in 6-2 loss to Angels
- 10:02 PMSources: Blackhawks re-sign Andreas Athanasiou to 2-year extension
- 9:49 PMBoomers fall in frantic finish
- 4:56 PMBears safety Jackson back on field for first time since late-November injury
- 3:55 PMHazardous air quality postpones White Sox-Yankees game
Recommended for You
- Prep SportsBaseball: Sloan's no-hitter launches York into state semifinals for first time since '93
- Prep SportsSoftball: Schuler, Antioch headed back to state
- Prep SportsBaseball: New Trier's 'perfect game' stops Stevenson in supersectionals
- Prep SportsSoftball: Goodwin, Barrington repeat super win over Warren
- Prep SportsBaseball: Rogers stars at the plate, on the mound for state-bound Grayslake Central
- Prep SportsSoftball: Benet shakes off slow start to win 1st supersectional since 2011
- Prep SportsSoftball: Mistakes cost Lake Park in supersectional setback
- Prep SportsBoys volleyball: Glenbard West repeats state championship
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Barrington just misses state title again
- Prep SportsBoys lacrosse: Wheaton Academy stops St. Viator for 1st state title
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Benet falls short of state championship for second year in a row
- Prep SportsGirls lacrosse: Loyola starts strong, tops Hinsdale Central in state championship game
- NewsImages: Boys state volleyball: Glenbard West vs. Lyons Township
- Prep SportsSuper Monday promises lots of super baseball, softball games
- Prep SportsBaseball: Jacobs' 7th-inning comeback comes up just short