Cubs | On a day of miscues, Cubs beat the heat, and Padres, 6-5
The hot sun and high humidity caused everal meltdowns Friday at Wrigley Field. The Chicago Cubs took advantage of an error by the San Diego Padres in the bottom of the eighth inning to come away with a 6-5 victory.
Latest Sports Videos
Bears | Can the Bears cornerbacks be as good as they were last year?No position group in Chicago -- and few anywhere in the league -- is facing longer odds in repeating their 2018 production than the Bears cornerbacks.
College Sports | After winning Big Ten West division last season, Northwestern prepared to prove itself againNorthwestern heads into the season as the defending Big Ten West division champion. If the Wildcats want to finish first again, they'll need a big season from quarterback Hunter Johnson, a Clemson transfer.
Columns | O'Donnell: Bzdelik to Pelicans; Arkush back for 32nd season of "Pro Football Weekly"Jim O'Donnell says Jeff Bzdelik, the Prospect High grad (Class of '71), is deep in negotiations to take over as defensive lead for Alvin Gentry, Zion Williamson and the New Orleans Pelicans.
NFL | NFL won't suspend Chiefs' Tyreek Hill in case involving sonChiefs receiver Tyreek Hill escapes NFL suspension in domestic violence case involving son.
White Sox | White Sox end 7-game skid, win 9-2 as Lopez pitches 7 strong inningsLeury Garcia had four hits, including three doubles, Reynaldo Lopez won for the first time in six starts and the Chicago White Sox stopped a seven-game losing streak by beating the slumping Tampa Bay Rays 9-2 on Friday night. Garcia became the first White Sox player to have three doubles in a game since Adam Eaton against Minnesota on Aug. 2, 2014.
Blackhawks | Blackhawks' Boqvist looking sharp at campDefenseman Adam Boqvist put on quite a show during a Chicago Blackhawks development camp scrimmage at Fifth Third Arena on Friday.
Cubs | Edwards' return means Cubs' bullpen has only one left-handerThe Chicago Cubs have just one left-hander in their bullpen after Friday's activation of right-hander Carl Edwards Jr. off the injured list.
Pro Sports | Uchman's Arlington selections for Saturday's racesHere is today's link to Daily Herald handicapper Ron Uchman's selections for thoroughbred racing at Arlington International on Saturday, plus Joe Mazzone's picks for harness racing at Hawthorne.
News | Bo Jackson's sports dome to put Bensenville 'on the map'Bo Jackson is the driving force behind a new sports dome coming to Bensenville as the village aims to make itself into an amateur sports destination.
NFL | Cost of Raiders stadium in Las Vegas rises to $1.9 billionOfficials have raised the budget to $1.9 billion for the 65,000-seat Las Vegas Stadium being built for the NFL's relocated Raiders and UNLV football
- 2:36 PMEx-Denver coach Mike Shanahan takes in Broncos practice
- 11:40 AMEx-Rays prospect moves from kangaroo court to Supreme Court
- 8:47 AMFC Tokyo beats Shimizu 2-0 to stay top of J-League
- 6:50 AMHernandez scores winner for Leeds in injury time
- 2:20 AMTampa Bay's Meadows puts 10-game hit streak on the line against White Sox
- Boys' BasketballLegendary St. Joseph basketball coach Gene Pingatore dies at 82
- Boys' BasketballStrengths of Naperville North's Welch? A lot
- Prep FootballSwitching from baseball to track a solid decision for Antioch's Grindley
- Girls' BasketballBy design, Elk Grove's Kandefer stood out in sports and academics
- Girls' BasketballWest Aurora's Miles overcame adversity to excel
- Boys' BasketballElgin basketball coach Hess resigns after one season
- Prep FootballWheeling's Best was best at a lot, but also was the best teammate
- Girls' BasketballGlenbard South's Bair more than just a great athlete
- Prep SportsServices Saturday for Karen Kublank, Title IX pioneer at Palatine High
- Prep SportsSuburban high school athletes lauded for both athletic and compassionate feats
- Prep SportsStevenson's Sorenson doubled her fun
- NewsImages: Daily Herald Prep Sports Excellence Awards
- Prep SportsCary-Grove's Priester took a risk, but it paid off in the end
- Prep SportsBaseball: Heartbreak for St. Charles North in 4A title game
- Prep SportsImages: St. Charles North vs. Edwardsville, Class 4A State Championship in Baseball
Through the Film Magnifier: Barry Manilow, Deadheads, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Connors, a fishing derby and more