White Sox | Head scratcher: White Sox hire La Russa as manager after 34-year hiatus
The White Sox hired 76-year-old Tony La Russa as manager Thursday. La Russa has not been in a major league dugout since 2011 and he started his 33-year career as Sox manager in 1979.
Latest Sports Videos
Columns | Rozner: Colliton says Hawks are done trying to sneak into playoffs. They're looking to build something bigger.The Blackhawks are done with trying to sneak into the playoffs. They're looking to build something bigger.
Columns | Rozner: White Sox step back in time with La Russa hire -- less a disaster than disappointmentThis is less total disaster than it is total disappointment. Such a shame after the White Sox had done so much so right.
Bears | Bears film study: Rams' game was affirmation of prior problemsThe Bears didn't play very well in Los Angeles on Monday night. Mike McGraw checks the film to figure out what went wrong and whether the Rams offer a template for success.
News | Suburban school leaders blast state agencies, and now Chicago postpones basketball seasonThe Illinois High School Association's decision on Wednesday to defy Gov J.B. Pritzker's order the previous day to put high school basketball on hold set off a whirlwind of discussions by school administrators on Thursday.
Bears | Bears injury update: Robinson remains in concussion protocol, no update on WhitehairBears receiver Allen Robinson remains in concussion protocol this week, coach Matt Nagy said Wednesday. Linebacker Khalil Mack (ankle), center Cody Whitehair (calf) and Cordarrelle Patterson (quad).
Columns | Hub Arkush: Bears offense isn't the only thing flummoxing Foles these daysThe biggest challenge of playing on Monday night is the short week it leaves teams returning to a normal Sunday work schedule the following week. When you take a beating like the Bears did from the Rams and sprinkle in a little controversy to boot as Brian Griese and Nick Foles did the other night, time spent cleaning up the mess makes things even more difficult.
Girls' Basketball | IHSA says basketball season will go on as expectedDefying an order issued Tuesday by Gov J.B. Pritzker that the basketball season be put on hold due to growing concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic, the Illinois High School Association's board of directors Wednesday said the season will go on as scheduled.
College Sports | NU, Illinois need another week to judge where they standIn Week 1 of the Big Ten, Northwestern rolled to a historic victory over Maryland, while Illinois was pounded at Wisconsin. Is either team as good or as bad as it showed?
MLB | Turner's selfish celebration mars Dodger triumphJustin Turner's quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19 during the clinching win over Tampa Bay ended up lasting just two innings. The repercussions from his ill-advised decision to celebrate the World Series with his teammates figure to last a whole lot longer.
Sports | Wisconsin cancels Nebraska game; Chryst tests positive for COVID-19No. 9 Wisconsin has canceled its game at Nebraska on Saturday and paused all team activities for at least seven days after a dozen people within the program including coach Paul Chryst tested positive for COVID-19
Bears | Bear Down, Nerd Up: Week 7 stat breakdownThe Bears played in their 18th game on Monday Night Football since 2010, which is tied for the most in that span with the New Orleans Saints and the New York Giants.
Sports | Gone Fishin': Don't be shy, try the flyThe case for the sport of fly fishing in the Chicagoland area has long been a curious one. While it's not necessarily closed it has not been entirely open, either. At the center of the burgeoning fly fishing movement in the Chicagoland area is the DuPage Fly Fishing Co.
- 2:15 AMNashville SC brings strong defensive play into matchup with Chicago
- 2:15 AMThe Houston Dynamo face FC Dallas in conference action
- 1:08 AM49ers preparing for rare silence in Seattle without fans
- 1:07 AMWeek 9: Ohio State faces its biggest test; Florida returns
- 1:06 AMPackers' Winn makes remarkable return with help from wife
- NewsSuburban school leaders blast state agencies, and now Chicago postpones basketball season
- Girls' BasketballIHSA says basketball season will go on as expected
- Prep FootballWheaton native Nihill enjoying challenges as Tennessee Titans president
- Prep SportsNever forgetting: The healing continues 25 years after Fox River Grove crash
- Prep SportsGirls swimming and diving: Fremd edges Schaumburg for sectional crown
- Prep SportsGirls cross country: Batavia's Schlenker hopes to finish strong
- Prep SportsBoys cross country: Saturday's sectionals promise to be competitive
- NewsCOVID-19 hits Prospect High School girls volleyball team
- Prep SportsGirls swimming and diving: Neuqua Valley ends season in style
- Girls' BasketballBasketball coach association survey says play; decision could come next week
- Prep SportsCross country roundup: Warren's Wiley a regional champ
- NewsGlorious day in the pool for New Trier
- NewsLots of local runners set to compete in high school cross country finale
- NewsNATALIE SANDLOW
- Girls' BasketballPritzker: High school basketball, wrestling 'on hold'
Images; Through the Film Magnifier: Carlton Fisk, The Kingston Trio, Dudley Moore, a beard contest and more