MLB | Cleveland's baseball team goes from Indians to Guardians
Known as the Indians since 1915, Cleveland's Major League Baseball team will be called Guardians.
Latest Sports Videos
White Sox | Nope, it's not over: Mercedes ends retirement, returns to Class AAA CharlotteLess than a day after announcing he's retiring from baseball, Yermin Mercedes is back on Class AAA Charlotte's active roster. In April, the White Sox's rookie designated hitter was the toast of baseball with a .415 batting average.
Cubs | Cubs tailspin continues with another 1-run loss in St. LouisThe Cubs got one big hit on Thursday in St. Louis, but it wasn't enough to prevent a 3-2 loss. While the offense continued to struggle, the Cubs record dropped to 5-17 since June 25.
White Sox | Gonzales: Andrew Vaughn has plenty of value for White Sox, even when Eloy Jimenez returnsEven when Eloy Jimenez returns from injury, Andrew Vaughn still has plenty of value for the White Sox.
White Sox | As trade deadline approaches, will White Sox add or stand pat?The July 30 nonwaiver trade deadline is approaching, and the White Sox could use help at second base and the bullpen. The big question is, how much young talent is Sox GM Rick Hahn willing to part with to made a deal?
Sports | Tokyo Olympics begin with muted ceremony and empty stadiumBelated and beleaguered, the virus-delayed Tokyo Summer Olympics finally opened Friday night with cascading fireworks and made-for-TV choreography that unfolded in a near-empty stadium, a colorful but strangely subdued ceremony that set a striking tone to match a unique pandemic Games.
Blackhawks | Bowman says he's taking sexual assault investigation against Blackhawks seriouslyChicago Blackhawks general manager and president of hockey operations Stan Bowman says he's "eager" to speak about sexual assault allegations in more detail, but only after the independent investigation has been completed.
Columns | Jim O'Donnell: WaPo's Sally Jenkins working OT to spotlight treachery of the OlympicsJim O'Donnell: Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post has been working hard to spotlight the treachery of the Tokyo Olympics.
Sports | Hawks release 2021-22 schedule, open season with 3-game road tripThe Chicago Blackhawks will open the 2021-22 season with a three-game road trip, beginning October 13 at Colorado and continuing on to Pittsburgh and New Jersey on October 15 and 16. The home opener is against the New York Islanders on Tuesday, October 19. That will begin a four-game homestand, which continues with Vancouver, Detroit and Toronto.
Bears | Top 25 Bears in 2021: No 8: Bears need healthy Hicksthe Bears need defensive tackle Akiem Hicks in healthy in 2021. The team's downward slide in 2019 began, partially, with Hicks' elbow injury, which certainly wasn't a coincidence.
White Sox | Sheets staying in the moment with White SoxGavin Sheets has been a productive hitter since rejoining the White Sox in late June. Being returned to Class AAA Charlotte at some point is a possibility, but Sheets isn't worried about the future.
- 2:39 PMNFL dealing with multiple questions as training camps open
- 2:03 PMSabres add 1st-round pick in trading Ristolainen to Flyers
- 1:26 PMCB LeBlanc, LB Griffin sign 1-year contracts with Dolphins
- 12:44 PMRangers buying out Tony DeAngelo, introduce Barclay Goodrow
- 12:34 PMNumber of NFL players in vaccination process up to 80%
- Girls' BasketballHare transfers from Bartlett to Naperville North
- St. CharlesAn All-American year: St. Charles North's Sinnaeve overcomes obstacles, earns national honor
- Boys' BasketballBuffalo Grove's Craft chooses Xavier
- Prep SportsOlympic bound: Former Prospect, Illini track star Kendziera going to Tokyo
- Prep SportsSt. Viator names DeLeon as new boys soccer coach
- Prep FootballThey want you: Need a job? Youth, prep sports desperately need referees
- Prep FootballMetea Valley's 2-sport standout Johnson excited about future at NIU
- Girls' BasketballBurlington Central's Charles picks Princeton
- Girls' BasketballBatavia grad Fruendt joins staff at Tennessee
- Prep SportsOff at college: Wheeling's Blair honored for excellence on and off the track
- Prep SportsOff at college: Benet grad Abello earns Academic All-American of the Year
- Boys' BasketballBurlington Central grad Mayfield makes move to Division I basketball
- Prep SportsOff at college: Illinois Wesleyan's Morton earns golf All-America honors
- Prep SportsBaseball: St. Charles North's DeMarco wins Illinois Gatorade player of the year
- PalatinePalatine's Bostick decides on Iowa
Images:Through the Film Magnifier: Bobby Hull, Peter O'Toole, Ted Nugent, aerobics classes for kids and more