Cubs | Trust in Davies pays off as Cubs beat Pirates
Cubs pitcher Zach Davies hadn't been very good so far this season, but he delivered when it mattered Friday against Pittsburgh. To complete 7 scoreless innings, Davies got out of a bases-loaded jam to earn a 3-2 victory.
Latest Sports Videos
Columns | Rozner: The Zimmer conversation and the Cubs' unravelingIt was 30 years ago this week that I had a conversation with Don Zimmer in Houston. I could not have forecast what came next for the Cubs.
White Sox | 'I think he's going to bounce back': Sox' Robert should return to normal, doctors sayTwo local hip experts, Dr. Andrew Riff and Dr. Michael Chiu, weighed in on the injury to White Sox center fielder Luis Robert.
Cubs | Cubs hitters rebound, but outfield still laggingAfter a miserable start at the plate, the Cubs have turned things around quickly. After Friday's win over Pittsburgh, the Cubs ranked seventh in the majors leagues in runs scored.
Bears | Will Mahomes' first year serve as a blueprint for Justin Fields and the Bears?For now, veteran Andy Dalton remains QB1. Fans might roll their eyes, but don't dismiss the idea that Justin Fields could spend a significant amount of time on the bench in 2021.
Cubs | How unlikely candidate Matt Duffy has ignited Cubs offenseMatt Duffy was practically an afterthought in spring training, but he's helped ignite the Cubs offense since becoming an every day player. His ability to make contact and use the whole field is reminiscent of a 2016 World Series hero.
Sports | DeBrincat scores in OT, Blackhawks beat HurricanesAlex DeBrincat beat Petr Mrazek at 2:02 of overtime to help the Blackhawks rally past the NHL-leading Carolina Hurricanes 2-1 on Thursday night,
Cubs | With Kimbrel unavailable, Cubs bullpen nearly faltersWith closer Craig Kimbrel unavailable Friday, the Cubs bullpen nearly squandered a 3-0 lead in the ninth inning. But with three different pitchers on the mound, they finally closed out the win.
Columns | Cubs place Happ on IL, promote MartiniCubs outfielder Ian Happ tried to make a quick comeback from injuries suffered in the collision with Nico Hoerner in Cincinnati. But the team placed Happ on the injured list with a left rib contusion Friday.
Bulls | LaVine's return keeps Bulls' faint playoff hopes aliveThe return of Zach LaVine to the floor certainly had something to do with the Bulls' inspired effort, which ended a four-game skid. Nikola Vucevic had 29 points and 14 rebounds, LaVine had 13 points after missing 11 games due to the league's health and safety protocols, and the Bulls swept the season series from the Charlotte Hornets with a 120-99 win on Thursday night.
Columns | Albert Pujols to the White Sox? No way.Any way you look at it, Albert Pujols is not a good fit in the White Sox lineup.
Prep Sports | Baseball: Busy schedule? You bet it isNow high school baseball players know kind of what it's like to play in the major leagues. With a condensed, 7-week season, teams that are trying to get their normal 30-plus games in are playing pro-type schedules, where nearly every day is game day.
- 8:34 PMBaseball: Carmel's Gandolfi spreads the praise for his 600th win
- 7:57 PMBuffalo tabs Michigan's Linguist to take over football team
- 7:26 PMKemar Lawrence leaves Anderlecht for Toronto
- 6:45 PMUnion's Jose Martínez suspended for 2 additional games
- 6:34 PMJets cut 6 including WR Doctson, sign 6 of 10 draft picks
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Streamwood, Bartlett off to strong starts
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Defending champ Benet looking strong again
- Prep SportsBaseball: Carmel's Gandolfi spreads the praise for his 600th win
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Hennelly carrying on family tradition in Downers Grove
- Prep SportsBaseball: Naperville Central sweeps Naperville North
- Prep SportsSoftball: Barrington stays perfect, hands Warren 1st loss
- Boys' GymnasticsBoys gymnastics: Benet, Burlington Central gymnasts make school history
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Libertyville blanks Warren
- Prep SportsBoys soccer: Central Suburban League all-conference team
- Girls' BasketballWomen's basketball: Larkin grad Irvin excited to be new assistant coach at Illinois
- Prep SportsBaseball: Small ball pays off for Jacobs
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Dual goalies working well for undefeated St. Charles East
- Prep SportsSoftball: Huntley's Bower throws perfect game against Burlington Central
- Prep SportsBaseball: Busy schedule? You bet it is
- NewsGlenbrook South, New Trier start of track season in a big way
Images:Through the Film Magnifier: Frontier Days, Bill Veeck, PeeWee Football, The Cellar nightclub and more
Images:Through the Film Magnifier: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hamburger University, Tug-O-War, Dance competitions and more