College Sports | No. 14 Wisconsin routs Illinois 45-7 in Big Ten opener
Graham Mertz threw five touchdown passes to match the Wisconsin record in a commanding first career start and the No. 14 Badgers beat Illinois 45-7 on Friday night to open the pandemic-delayed Big Ten football season.
Latest Sports Videos
Columns | How Stevenson grad landed her dream job in ESPN's NBA Bubble coverageFormer Stevenson High student Cristina Daglas is living an unexpected dream, as a editor at ESPN.com. She led the network's digital covereage of the NBA's Bubble season.
MLB | Buehler leads Dodgers over Rays 6-2 for 2-1 Series leadWalker Buehler set down the Tampa Bay Rays with dominance and ease that brought flashbacks of Orel Hershiser during the Dodgers last title run
Columns | Hub Arkush: What would it take to fix Bears offense? There are options worth exploring.So the beat goes on -- or should we say, the beating the Bears offense is taking both on and off the field goes on. Rightly so, most of it is focused on the offensive line.
Columns | Neuqua Valley's Rachel Stege ready to put a big red bow on family dynasty and her record-setting swim careerNeuqua Valley senior Rachel Stege is putting a big red bow on not only her high school swimming career this weekend at the sectional meet at Metea Valley, but also on the Stege family legacy.
Columns | Never forgetting: The healing continues 25 years after Fox River Grove crashFour people affected by the Fox River Grove bus/train crash in 1995 -- Cary-Grove head girls volleyball coach Patty Griffith Langanis, players from that team Katie Scully Krysh and Kelly Speer Hoffman, and current Huntley head coach Karen Liss Naymola, a freshman at Cary-Grove in 1995 -- sat down earlier this week to recall the night two days after the crash when they played a regional championship match at Crystal Lake South. They did so amid a pandemic, so there were masks, no handshakes and no hugs. But there were some tears.
Cubs | Chicago Cubs need to strike while Darvish, Hendricks are peakingThere's no question the strength of the Chicago Cubs in 2020 was the starting pitching. Kyle Hendricks and Yu Darvish were a stellar 1-2 punch and both are signed long term.
White Sox | After Giolito, Keuchel, Chicago White Sox have to sort out starting rotationThe Chicago White Sox are set at the top of their starting rotation with Lucas Giolito and Dallas Keuchel. As they look ahead to 2021, Dylan Cease, Dane Dunning, Michael Kopech and Garrett Crochet are viable candidiates to fill the other starting spots.
Bears | From knowing nothing about football to a 55-yard field goal, Santos 'in a zone'When Cairo Santos came to St. Augustine, Fla., as a foreign exchange student from Brazil, he didn't know anything about American football.
Bears | 3 things to know about the L.A. Rams, the Bears' opponent Monday nightNext up for the 5-1 Bears is a 4-2 Los Angeles Rams team, which is coming off a loss to the San Francisco 49ers in Week 6. Here are three things to know about the Rams
Prep Sports | Girls swimming and diving: Athletes are all set for sectional SaturdayWith sectional Saturday finally here, girls swimming and diving teams across the suburbs have been dialing back yardage and focusing on other aspects of their skill set, which is generally referred to as tapering. But tapering is mental as much as a physical task, coaches and athletes say.
- 3:25 PMBucks' George Hill returns to Milwaukee, encourages voting
- 3:20 PMReynolds, Charlotte take control late in 38-28 win over UTEP
- 3:18 PMJets activate Mims from IR, downgrade Crowder to doubtful
- 3:04 PMNix finds Williams for game winner as Auburn tops Ole Miss
- 3:02 PMRamos, VAR key to Madrid 3-1 win at Barcelona
- Prep SportsNever forgetting: The healing continues 25 years after Fox River Grove crash
- Prep SportsFor the second year in a row, Fremd proves to have the most spirited student section
- Prep SportsGirls tennis: Fremd captures sectional championship
- Prep SportsBoys cross country: Rolling Meadows' Barretto has historic run
- Prep SportsGirls cross country: Hersey's Harden, Prospect shine at MSL meet
- Girls' BasketballBasketball coach association survey says play; decision could come next week
- Prep SportsNeuqua Valley's Rachel Stege ready to put a big red bow on family dynasty and her record-setting swim career
- Prep SportsHersey's Sheldon used golf to save his tennis career
- Prep SportsGirls tennis: St. Charles East nabs 2nd straight sectional crown
- Prep SportsIHSA meeting on Oct. 28 to give details on winter sports
- Prep FootballFormer Geneva AD Schick passes away at 90
- Prep SportsGirls swimming and diving: Athletes are all set for sectional Saturday
- NewsElle Stewart and Jenna Horne get it done for the Titans
- NewsIn its last match of 2020, Glenbrook North wins team and individual sectional titles
- NewsThe Coach gets Glenbrook's thoughts -- sports-related and otherwise -- on the pandemic
Images; Through the Film Magnifier: Carlton Fisk, The Kingston Trio, Dudley Moore, a beard contest and more