Cubs | Hoyer confirms Cubs will part ways with Heyward after season
Before Monday's game, Cubs president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer confirmed the team plans to release outfielder Jason Heyward after the season, despite the $22 million left on his contract for next year.
Latest Sports Videos
Bears | 'He's keeping his promise': Bears' Eberflus delivering on promise to make practices hardThe Bears are certainly rediscovering the definition of "hard" during coach Matt Eberflus' first training camp at Halas Hall. This was especially true when the heat index approached 100 degrees Friday and Saturday. It was interesting, however, that Eberflus disagreed with the players' assessment of the sessions.
Columns | Hub Arkush: Six Bears who could enjoy breakout seasonsAs the Bears hit the dog days of NFL training camp, here's a look at six players that could enjoy breakout campaigns.
White Sox | Not so grand Central: Can White Sox emerge as division champs?The Central division is home to the only tight playoff race in the American League, The White Sox are still favored to finish in first place, but they'll have to shake off the Twins and Guardians.
Cubs | In search of power, Cubs claim Reyes off waivers from ClevelandThe Cubs claimed outfielder Franmil Reyes off waivers from Cleveland on Monday. He was an inviting target, because he's had two seasons of hitting at least 30 home runs in the past four years.
Bears | Five things on the Bears: Who's stepping up, Williams' blitz philosophy and moreThroughout the first week and a half of Chicago Bears training camp there's probably been too much emphasis on how Justin Fields and the offense is performing. So after hearing defensive coordinator Alan Williams speak after Sunday's practice this is the perfect time to focus on the other side of the ball. Here are five things that stood out from Williams' session with the media.
Bears | Bears training camp notes: Fullback Khari Blasingame is cool with being old schoolAfter four years of Matt Nagy's pass-happy imitation of the Kansas City Chiefs, the Bears are going back to the ground game. Nothing shows that more than the addition of a fullback over the offseason.
Cubs | New Cubs pitchers have mixed results in minorsTwo starting pitchers acquired by the Cubs before the trade deadline had mixed results in the minors this weekend. Hayden Wesneski gave up 8 runs in less than 2 innings for Iowa, but Ben Brown allowed just 1 run and struck out 9 fpr Tennessee on Saturday.
Sky | Sky hold off Sun, set franchise win recordCandace Parker scored 18 points, grabbed 12 rebounds and tipped a pass to Emma Meesseman for a 3-pointer in the closing seconds to help the Sky beat the Connecticut Sun 94-91 Sunday to set the franchise record for wins in a season.
Cubs | Velocity deficit continues to hamper CubsWhile the Cubs were blanked by the Miami Marlins on Sunday at Wrigley Field, their team-wide deficit in pitching velocity continues to be an issue. But there might be some help on the way.
White Sox | White Sox pound out 15 hits, beats Texas 8-2 for series splitAndrew Vaughn had a two-run home run among his three hits, Luis Robert hit a two-run double, and AJ Pollock had two doubles in a three-hit game as the White Sox beat the Texas Rangers 8-2 on Sunday to split a four-game series.
- 8:11 PMJets OT Becton's knee injury more serious than first thought
- 7:43 PMNFL: Rodgers' use of ayahuasca didn't violate drug policy
- 7:15 PMJudon focused on being himself heading into Year 2 with Pats
- 6:57 PMCubs to cut ties with Heyward after the season
- 5:30 PMMercury's Taurasi out for rest of season with quad injury
- Prep FootballNumbers game: As prep football season nears, encouraging signs for player participation while official numbers concerning
- Prep SportsHigh school basketball game the spark for Radtke's career
- Boys' BasketballRolling Meadows' Christie chooses Minnesota
- Prep FootballWheaton North enters 2022 season with target on its back
- Prep FootballCarlson, Kaneland set to take next step
- Prep FootballGerke's role expanding at Batavia
- Prep FootballQB Reichert looking to return Downers Grove North to playoffs
- Prep SportsJacobs selects 5 to 2022 Hall of Fame class
- NewsMaine East grad returns as new hoops head coach
- Boys' BasketballBenet shows it belongs with impressive June performance
- Boys' BasketballNew group at Glenbard West has big shoes to fill
- NewsIt's Anthony Kopp's time
- NapervilleFormer Naperville Central, Wheaton College coach Bishop 'was ahead of his time'
- Prep SportsDundee-Crown announces this year's Hall of Fame Class
- Boys' BasketballYork's Hardek adjusts to bigger role