Boys soccer: Oswego advances past Waubonsie Valley after wild second half

By D.J. Wanberg
Daily Herald Correspondent
Updated 10/28/2019 9:22 PM

Soccer can be a game of few highlights or many highlights.

Monday afternoon's Class 3A Oswego boys soccer regional final fits into the latter category. A total of eight goals were scored and there was a steady supply of scoring chances for either team. At the end of it, the host Panthers were 5-3 winners.


The game was delayed from Saturday due to the weather.

Fourth-seeded Oswego (18-3-1) advances Tuesday to the first of two Lockport sectional semifinals against top-seeded and defending Class 3A champion Naperville North.

The teams walked back onto the pitch for the second half tied at 1. There were plenty of highlights in the first 40 minutes, but the highlight faucet was turned on full blast in the second half.

Play began then with Oswego putting plenty of pressure on the Waubonsie defense. Warriors goalkeeper Bryan Grimaldo, who finished with 7 saves, played a big role in deflecting that pressure, making 5 saves in the second half.

With just under 35 minutes left in the game, an Oswego player leapt into the air for a header and Grimaldo leapt at the same time to try and grab it. The ensuing collision left Grimaldo shaken up, but he stayed in the contest.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

About five minutes later Grimaldo made two saves within seconds of each other while on the ground during a rush on the Warriors net.

Fifth-seeded Waubonsie (11-6-4) got the lead back when Javi Gonzalez stuffed a rebound into the back net off a shot that hit the crossbar with 26:31 left.

Just 54 seconds later, the Warriors made it 3-1 as Diego Carrillo scored with an assist from Milan Erastus-Obilo.

"It was a matter of energy," said Waubonsie coach Jose Garcia of the second-half surge. "We came out with the energy I hope we would get."

Garcia was happy with the Warriors' scoring spurt but believed Oswego wasn't going to go away just because Waubonsie tallied a couple of quick scores.

"You are in a dangerous place to be. (The Panthers) were going to push themselves a little more," he said.

The Panthers responded with four unanswered goals in the 23:48 of the game.


Waubonsie had opened the first half scoring just 12 seconds into the game on a goal from Jorge Gallegos.

Garcia was proud of his team's effort Monday and during the season.

"I like what we are. We created plays, the whole season improving. Today we played soccer," he said.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.