College Sports | Michigan vs. Alabama, Washington vs. Texas in College Football Playoff; unbeaten Florida State left out
The final season of the four-team College Football Playoff turned out to be the most controversial with an unprecedented snub. Michigan, Washington, Texas and Alabama were selected Sunday and Florida State became the first unbeaten Power Five conference champion to be excluded from the field. Michigan will face Alabama in the Rose Bowl, Washington will play Texas in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1 and the winners will meet for the national championship Jan. 8 in Houston.
Latest Sports Videos
Bears | Five first-year Bears players to watch during the final five games of the seasonThe Bears drafted Roschon Johnson in the fourth round. He's valuable as an all-around football player, both at running back and on special teams.
Bulls | White shows Bulls how it's done, scores 31 in victory over PelicansCoby Whtie exploded in the second half, scoring 28 of his 31 points, and the Bulls won their second straight game, 124-118 over New Orleans. White also tied a career high by making eight baskets from 3-point range.
Columns | While LaVine rests foot injury, Bulls need to be patient with trade talkThe Bulls announced Zach LaVine will miss a week to rest a foot inujry. This news doesn't necessarily mean a trade is imminent. The best way to make a deal would be for LaVine to start playing well and the Bulls having some patience.
Blackhawks | Blackhawks trounced by Wild 4-1, lose 3rd straightThe Blackhawks fell to the Wild in Minnesota 4-1 on Sunday. It was the third loss in a row for the Blackhawks, who have been outscore 13-2 during the losing streak.
Columns | How to know when to stop scoringI once asked one of my favorite coaches why he kept pouring it on when his opponent was clearly beaten. "Son," he said, "I can't coach both teams."
Boys' Basketball | Prospect holds on to top Buffalo GroveProspect knew enough to come out of the rain.
College Sports | College of DuPage three-peats in NJCAA Division III footballBrazziel-to-Baez earns the College of DuPage a Red Grange Bowl victory and national title over Rochester.
Columns | Jim O'Donnell: If the Bears abandon Arlington, what about the Cubs and an alternative Wrigley Field?In the grand scheme, the Cubs would continue to play the majority of their games at Wrigley Field Classic and transfer a lesser number to a new Wrigley Field Northwest.
Boys' Basketball | Charboneau sparks Neuqua Valley in win over Naperville NorthA varsity newcomer, Neuqua Valley junior Whitman Charboneau has plenty of role models both on and off the basketball court. But the Wildcats guard also wants to make a name for himself, and Friday night was a great start.
College Sports | Strengthening schedule won't be easy for No. 1 North Central CollegeNorth Central has faced some challenges in trying to beef up its schedule. As a result, the Cardinals are hitting the road for this weekend's Division III quarterfinal game, despite being ranked No. 1 all season.
- Boys' BasketballSavage plays in Hinsdale South's lopsided loss to Downers Grove South
- Prep WrestlingBarrington shines at Grant after heart-breaking week
- Boys' BasketballProspect holds on to top Buffalo Grove
- Boys' BasketballCharboneau sparks Neuqua Valley in win over Naperville North
- Boys' BasketballDemirov's late layup lifts CL South over Burlington Central
- Prep FootballDaily Herald All-Area football captains in the NFL
- Boys' BasketballBarrington rallies to knock off Palatine
- Girls' BasketballMcMahon, Rolling Meadows start fast, shoot past Wheeling
- Boys' BasketballLevine, York get 'massive' road win at Hinsdale Central in conference opener
- Boys' BasketballNiles West looks good in CSL North debut
- Boys' BasketballLake Park holds Batavia to 23 in DuKane win
- Boys' BasketballConant's strong inside game beats Fremd
- Boys' BasketballCarbonaro, Max O'Connell steady Wheaton Warrenville South in win at Geneva
- Girls' BasketballHuntley defeats Hampshire, extends FVC winning streak to 30 games
- Prep SportsBoys swimming: St. Charles North shines on 'chaotic' day at Stevenson