Strikes against automakers spread to 38 locations in 20 states, Stellantis and GM are targeted
The president of the United Auto Workers said Friday the union will expand its strike against major automakers by walking out of 38 General Motors and Stellantis plants in 20 states.
Sen. Menendez, wife indicted on bribe charges as probe finds $100,000 in gold bars, prosecutors saySen. Bob Menendez was charged Friday with secretly aiding the authoritarian regime of Egypt and trying to thwart the criminal prosecution of a friend in exchange for gold bars and cash as prosecutors unsealed a corruption indictment that accuses him of using his foreign affairs influence for personal gain.
The fall equinox is here. What does that mean?The equinox arrives on Saturday, marking the start of the fall season for the Northern Hemisphere. But what does that actually mean? Here's what to know about how we split up the year using the Earth's orbit.
Ukrainian missile strikes headquarters of Russia's Black Sea Fleet, building smoldersUkraine struck the headquarters of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in a missile attack Friday that left a serviceman missing and the main building smoldering, according to military officials on both sides of the war and images from the scene in Crimea.
Pope visits multicultural Marseille as some in Europe talk of fences, blockades to curb migrationPope Francis arrived Friday in the French port city of Marseille, for centuries a multiethnic and multifaith melting pot, to amplify his call for the Mediterranean to be a place of welcome for migrants, not a cemetery for people who die trying to cross the sea to Europe.
Netanyahu tells UN Israel is 'at the cusp' of an historic agreement with Saudi ArabiaIsraeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the U.N. General Assembly on Friday that Israel is "at the cusp" of a historic breakthrough leading to a peace agreement with Saudi Arabia.
The U.S. is allowing hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans in the country to work legallyThe Biden administration says it's granting temporary legal status to hundreds of thousands of Venezuelans who are already in the country -- quickly making them eligible to work -- as it grapples with growing numbers of people fleeing the South American country and elsewhere to arrive at the U.S.-Mexico border.
King Charles III makes a stop at the fire-damaged Notre Dame Cathedral on his state visit to FranceKing Charles III went from a meeting with young athletes in a working-class, multicultural suburb of Paris to an emotional stop in front of the fire-damaged Notre Dame Cathedral on Thursday, the second day of his state visit to France.
Rupert Murdoch, whose creation of Fox News made him a force in American politics, is stepping downRupert Murdoch, the 92-year-old media magnate who created Fox News, is stepping down as leader of both Fox's parent company and his News Corp. media holdings.
India suspends visa services for citizens of Canada, Trudeau says he's not trying to cause problemsIndia told Canada to reduce its diplomatic staff and stopped issuing visas to its citizens Thursday as a rift widened between the once-close allies over Ottawa's allegation that New Delhi may have been involved in the killing of a Canadian citizen.
Syrian President Bashar Assad arrives in China on first visit since the beginning of war in SyriaSyrian President Bashar Assad arrived in China on Thursday on his first visit to the country since the start of Syria's 12-year conflict during which Beijing has been one of his main backers.
First private U.S. passenger rail line in 100 years is about to link Miami and Orlando at high speedThe first big test of whether privately owned high-speed passenger train service can prosper in the United States will launch Friday when Florida's Brightline begins running trains between Miami and Orlando, reaching speeds of 125 mph.
- 5:01 PMElgin man charged in attempted armed robbery
- 4:36 PMAuthorities: Hostage taker who was shot in face, arm in Round Lake is recovering
- 3:07 PMTrial of DCFS workers charged after murder of AJ Freund will resume Oct. 13
- 3:07 PMGrand Avenue in Lake Villa to close
- 3:06 PMAnnual art sale set for Sept. 30 in Prospect Heights
- 3:06 PMLearn about Maryville Crisis Nursery's free short-term child care at open house
- 3:05 PMWalkin' and Waggin' walk and wellness event
More Suburban News
- Round LakeAuthorities: Hostage taker who was shot in face, arm in Round Lake is recovering
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove character coalition named 'exemplary' by national group
- ElginElgin man charged in attempted armed robbery
- HuntleyHuntley High School now reports 6 students sickened by E. coli
- CrimeRound Lake-area schools closed over concerns about expelled student
- InvernessHusband charged in death of woman found Monday along Inverness road
- Lake VillaGrand Avenue in Lake Villa to close
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 DuPage County football games
- GurneeSauna-based hot workout studio HOTWORX opens in Gurnee
- AuroraAurora man facing drug charges after month-long investigation
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 Fox football games
- Prospect HeightsAnnual art sale set for Sept. 30 in Prospect Heights
- GurneeWalkin' and Waggin' walk and wellness event
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 Lake County football games
- Island LakeTrial of DCFS workers charged after murder of AJ Freund will resume Oct. 13
Check out The Week in Pictures photo gallery for August 28- September 3, 2023 in the Chicago suburbs