Ukraine's shadow: Deadly crises like Somalia starved of aid
The war in Ukraine has abruptly drawn millions of dollars away from longer-running humanitarian crises and Somalia is perhaps the most vulnerable as thousands die of hunger amid the driest drought in decades.
High cost of Russian gains in Ukraine may limit new advanceAfter more than four months of ferocious fighting, Russia claimed a key victory: full control over one of the two provinces in Ukraine's eastern industrial heartland.
Newsom's opponent: I'm reasonable, not a 'crazy Republican'Republican Brian Dahle faces an uphill battle to defeat California Gov. Gavin Newsom in November
China sees record rains, heat as weather turns volatileFrom the snowcapped peaks of Tibet to the tropical island of Hainan, China is sweltering under the worst heatwave in decades while rainfall hit records in June
Prosecutors: 2 more suspects arrested in De Vries slayingProsecutors say that two suspects in the slaying a year ago of Dutch crime reporter Peter R
Contract reached to fund ferry linking Kentucky, IllinoisThe Kentucky Transportation Cabinet says a new contract has been reached to continue service by the Cave-in-Rock Ferry
Ukrainian mathematician awarded prestigious Fields MedalUkrainian mathematician Maryna Viazovska has been named one of four recipients of the prestigious Fields Medal, which is often described a the Nobel Prize in mathematics
Today in History: July 5, Doby is AL's first Black playerToday in History Today is Tuesday, July 5, the 186th day of 2022. There are 179 days left in the year.
Police: No clear motive for shooting; suspect dressed as woman to hide identityA day after a rooftop gunman opened fire on spectators at an Independence Day parade downtown Highland Park, killing six and injuring dozens more, police investigators continue to search for a motive behind the mass shooting.
Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 paradeThe gunman who attacked an Independence Day parade in suburban Chicago fired more than 70 rounds with an AR-15-style gun that killed at least six people
'We'll mourn together and we'll offer support together': Highland park responds to shootingPlaces to find or give help in the aftermath of the Highland Park shooting.
- 1:12 PMLifelong member of Glencoe synagogue among the Highland Park shooting victims
- 12:28 PMAfter West Virginia opioid verdict, another case postponed
- 12:28 PMIn reversal, prosecutors say R. Kelly off suicide watch
- 12:19 PMSouth African president to attend funeral for 21 teenagers
- 12:16 PMSchool community devastated by CPS teacher, family members injured in Highland Park shooting
- 12:16 PM76 million-year-old dinosaur skeleton to be auctioned in NYC
- 11:48 AMGreece: Large forest blaze forces evacuations west of Athens
More Suburban News
- Kane CountyDefeated Kane County Board incumbent Shepro blasts opponent, vows to run again in 2024
- Des PlainesCasino patron arrested after struggling with police
- BartlettBartlett community turns out for Sunday afternoon Fourth of July parade
- RosemontFan Expo convention brings 'Lord of the Rings' reunion to Rosemont
- SportsWilliams, Terek pick Notre Dame, Wisconsin, respectively
- MLBCary-Grove alum Priester working toward MLB debut
- ElginElgin woman turns tragedy into mission to promote mental wellness -- with goats
- ElginThree suffer minor injuries in Elgin fire
- AlgonquinMotorcyclists in serious condition after crashing on Route 31 in Algonquin
- NewsThe Week That Was: Bailey takes suburbs plus GOP nomination; referendums in Dists. 25, 121
- StreamwoodStreamwood man dies after two-vehicle crash near La Grange Tuesday
- BusinessThe Biz Week That Was: Business campus to be razed; Elgin development finally getting started
- NapervilleNo injuries in fire at Naperville industrial building
- Hoffman EstatesThe Arboretum of South Barrington sold to Hoffman Estates-based Heidner Properties
- BarringtonBarrington High School improvements get OK from village board