Heavy rains, landslides leave 18 dead in south India
At least 18 people have died a day after torrential rains swept through villages and flooded roads in the southern Indian state of Kerala
Illinois shelter partners with health groups to build trustSPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Ahead of colder weather, when shelter becomes more of a necessity, Helping Hands of Springfield is partnering with healthcare organizations to build trust with local residents experiencing homelessness. The shelter, which has a capacity of 71 for men experiencing homelessness, joined with Fifth Street Renaissance and health care organizations recently to administer COVID-19 vaccines and provide food among other services, The State Journal-Register reports.
Illinois urges residents to join worldwide earthquake drillEarthquakes may be infrequent in Illinois, but state officials are urging the public to prepare by participating in a worldwide drill they say is the world's largest
The Week That Was: More pressure over anesthesiologist shortage, $250,000 for ex-city managerMore pressure on Advocate Sherman Hospital on the shortage of anesthesiologists. Rolling Meadows paying former city manager $250,000, and police chief now serving in the role. New Hobby Lobby in Gurnee. Possible water, waste fee hikes in Mount Prospect. Naperville crime down despite recent cases.
Illinois police dog comforts grieving after loss of handlerURBANA, Ill. (AP) - As he approaches his annual employee evaluation, Winston has a lock on 'exceeds expectations.' Consider that since December, the chocolate Labrador had to graduate from therapy-dog school, relocate from balmy Florida to chilly Champaign County, start a new job, acclimate to loving strangers, then abruptly be robbed of his 24/7 work partner and handler.
Illinois Dems unveil proposed congressional mapDemocrats in the Illinois General Assembly released the proposed new congressional map Friday, with the lines drawn to yield 14 Democratic and three Republican districts. The current House delegation is made up of 13 Democrats and five Republicans.
How Bears' purchase of Arlington Park happened, and what might happen nextWhile talk of a Bears move to the suburbs has been happening for years, the team's pending purchase of Arlington Park and its 326 acres makes a move feel more real than ever before. Here's a look at how we got to this point, and what might happen next.
AG asks Indiana Supreme Court to take adoption neglect caseThe Indiana attorney general's office wants the state's highest court to take up a case involving former couple accused of abandoning their adopted daughter
2 migrants dead, 21 missing off Tunisia in shipwreckTunisian authorities say at least two migrants have died and 21 have disappeared after their boat capsized off the coast in the Mediterranean Sea
Gang with past abductions blamed for kidnapping missionariesA group of 17 missionaries including children has been kidnapped by the 400 Mawozo gang in Haiti
Bill Clinton released from Southern California hospitalBill Clinton has been released from the Southern California hospital where he had been treated for an infection
Power line falls on Barlett garage, sparks fireA power line falling across a garage roof sparked a fire early Sunday morning that damaged a detached garage at a Barlett residence, fire officials said.
- 11:18 AMRisky business: Some Capitol riot defendants forgo lawyers
- 11:16 AMFather of suspect in UK lawmaker's slaying is 'traumatized'
- 10:14 AMBike into autumn to see fall colors, noteworthy architecture around the suburbs
- 9:33 AMHinsdale teen gets Barron Young Heroes prize for fight against carcinogen
- 9:32 AMRepeal of Illinois abortion notification buoyed by Texas law
- 9:31 AMSuburban Skyview: A look at Cumberland Circle after its makeover
- 9:30 AMThe end of student loan forbearance will be tougher on women
More Suburban News
- ElginElgin driver strikes stopped state police cruiser on I-90
- WheatonWheaton police searching for bank robbery suspect
- Lake CountyFormer Libertarian candidate for governor charged with threatening Lake County judges
- CrimeDeerfield man sentenced for defrauding children's charity
- Round Lake BeachNew center in Round Lake Park quarduples fragrance maker's manufacturing footprint
- LombardNational Indo-American Museum opens in Lombard
- Rolling MeadowsRolling Meadows police chief named temporary city manager
- Downers GroveLate Army staff sergeant's love of scuba diving inspires Palatine mom to write children's book
- ElginBody found in Elgin a week ago identified as homeless man
- NewsTeenage boy charged with hijacking woman's car in Willowbrook
- Vernon HillsVehicle suspected in deadly hit and run located
- St. CharlesZen Leaf waiting for state approval to move to former Jared Jewelry store in St. Charles
- GurneeHobby Lobby opening at Gurnee Mills in early 2022
- WaucondaNew Wauconda village administrator has varied suburban experience
- BataviaBatavia aldermen favor two dam options: Remove it or lower it
Owls, pumpkin patches and football games means it's autumn in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 2-8, 2021.
Through the Film Magnifier: Richard Nixon, ballet classes, baseball tryouts, donkey basketball and more
Bull frogs, cow pies, rescue dogs and race horses are all part of The Week in Pictures photo gallery for September, 18-24, 2021.
Antioch visited Wauconda, Maine South played against Glenbrook North and Buffalo Grove played at Prospect on Friday night, September 24, 2021.