Fact-checking Trump's, Biden's claims on virus, economy, health care, Big Ten football
President Donald Trump and Democratic rival Joe Biden sparred Tuesday in their first of three debates, hoping to sway undecided voters planning to cast ballots by mail and in person in the final weeks leading up to the Nov. 3 election. Here's a look at how their statements from Cleveland stack up with the facts.
Court to release grand jury record in Breonna Taylor caseKentucky's attorney general acknowledged that he never recommended homicide charges against any of the police officers conducting the drug raid that led to Breonna Taylor's death, and said he didn't object to a judge's order to publicly release the grand jury's deliberations.
Analysis: In debate, a last chance for Trump to define BidenAs a presidential candidate in 2016, Donald Trump seized control of the White House race and never let go. He masterfully defined and denigrated his opponents with cutting nicknames and a say-anything debate style, and repeatedly drew his rivals into the controversies he created.
Ethics experts see national security concern in Trump's debtRevelations that President Donald Trump is personally liable for more than $400 million in debt are casting a shadow over his presidency that ethics experts say raises national security concerns he could be manipulated to sway U.S. policy by organizations or individuals he's indebted to.
WHO, partners roll out faster COVID tests for poorer nationsThe World Health Organization announced Monday that it and leading partners have agreed to a plan to roll out 120 million rapid-diagnostic tests for the coronavirus to help lower- and middle-income countries make up ground in a testing gap with richer countries -- even if it's not fully funded yet.
New York City elementary schools reopen in big back-to-school testElementary school students went back to classrooms across New York City on Tuesday in a high-stakes test for the nation's biggest public school system even as the mayor warned that a recent rise in coronavirus cases was "cause for real concern."
Worldwide grief: Death toll from coronavirus tops 1 millionNow, 8 1/2 months after an infection doctors had never seen before claimed its first victims in China, the pandemic's confirmed death toll has eclipsed 1 million, according to a count by Johns Hopkins University.
Key takeaways from the first Trump-Biden debateThe 74-year-old president and the 77-year-old former vice president are similar in age, and they share a mutual dislike. But they differ starkly in style and substance. All of that was evident from the outset on the Cleveland stage.
Titans have NFL's first COVID-19 outbreak, with 8 positivesThe Tennessee Titans suspended in-person activities through Friday after the NFL says three Titans players and five other personnel tested positive for the coronavirus.
Assange may end up at Colorado Supermax jail, UK court toldA witness at London's Old Bailey court says WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange would have to be 'almost dying' to get out of arguably the most notorious prison in the United States if convicted of espionage charges and sent there
AP FACT CHECK: False claims flood Trump-Biden debateThe accusations came non-stop in the first debate between President Donald Trump and Democratic rival Joe Biden
Mueller pushes back on criticism from lawyer on Russia teamFormer special counsel Robert Mueller is pushing back against criticism from one of the top prosecutors on the Russia investigation team that the team was not as aggressive as it should have been in probing connections between the Trump campaign and Russia
- 11:30 PMCrown prince becomes oil-rich Kuwait's new ruling emir
- 11:00 PMLawyer for Flynn says she updated Trump on status of case
- 11:00 PMToday in History
- 10:14 PM'I Am Woman' singer Helen Reddy, '70s hitmaker, dies at 78
- 10:14 PMUS 'outraged' by rocket attack that killed women, children
- 10:05 PMThe Latest: Trump casts election doubts, Biden urges voting
- 9:51 PMAs virus curbs Nepal's festivals, devotees fear gods' anger
More Suburban News
- LibertyvilleParents, students want high schools to open "safely and soon"
- NewsLongtime District 25 board member David Page steps down
- AuroraIdentities released in suspected Aurora murder-suicide
- News18 COVID-19 cases tied to Elmhurst Orangetheory gym
- BataviaOSHA investigating landscape worker's death in Batavia
- NapervilleNaperville police searching for man who robbed pizza delivery driver
- Cook CountyAlliance of Bar Associations shares Cook County judicial recommendations
- PalatinePalatine firefighters memorial ceremony Thursday
- BensenvilleBensenville to begin construction on water project
- NapervilleNaperville to consider borrowing $16 million for capital projects
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Barrington scrambles for MSL crown
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Geneva earns DuKane Conference title
- Glen EllynMural marks Glen Ellyn as center of the coming Fridamania
- Gages LakeCOVID-19 outbreak linked to adult volleyball games in Lake County
- Prep SportsGirls golf: Sulkar, Janess lead Barrington to MSL crown