Deadline looms, but COVID relief deal may be far off
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi reported some progress in advance of a Tuesday deadline for reaching a pre-election deal with President Donald Trump on a new coronavirus relief package, but the same core problems bedeviling the effort remain in place despite optimistic talk from the president and his team.
Trump attacks Dr. Fauci, press and pollsPresident Donald Trump has come out swinging against Dr. Anthony Fauci, the press and polls that show him trailing Democrat Joe Biden in key battleground states in a disjointed closing message two weeks before Election Day.
How Trump plowed through $1 billion, losing cash advantagePresident Donald Trump's sprawling political operation has raised well over $1 billion since he took the White House in 2017 -- and spent a lot of it.
Justice Department files landmark antitrust case against GoogleThe Justice Department on Tuesday sued Google for antitrust violations, alleging that it abused its dominance in online search and advertising to stifle competition and harm consumers.
Republicans see bright spot in voter registration pushThe Republican Party has cut into Democrats' advantage in voter registration tallies across some critical presidential battleground states, a fact they point to as evidence of steady -- and overlooked -- enthusiasm for President Donald Trump and his party.
Argentina passes 1 million cases as virus hits Latin AmericaBut as Argentina passed 1 million virus cases Monday, it is now smaller cities that are seeing some of the most notable upticks. Doctors have had to quadruple the number of beds for COVID-19 patients over the last month. At least 60% of those tested recently are coming back positive for the virus.
UK to infect healthy volunteers to speed up vaccine effortsLONDON -- U.K. researchers are preparing to begin a controversial experiment that will infect healthy volunteers with coronavirus to study the disease in hopes of speeding up the development of a vaccine. The approach, called a challenge study, is risky but proponents say it may produce results faster than standard research, which waits to see if volunteers who have been given an experimental treatment get sick. The government is preparing to invest 33.6 million pounds ($43.4 million) in the study.
Commission says it will mute Trump's and Biden's microphones during parts of Thursday's debateThe Commission on Presidential Debates said Monday night that it will mute President Donald Trump's and Democratic nominee Joe Biden's microphones during parts of Thursday's presidential debate at Belmont University in Nashville.
Duterte: Hold me responsible for killings in drug crackdownThe Philippine president has said he accepts responsibility for the thousands of killings committed during police operations in his crackdown on drugs, adding that he was even ready to go to jail.
UK sets deadline for Manchester to accept virus restrictionsThe British government has given the city of Manchester a noon Tuesday deadline to agree to tighter coronavirus measures, as Prime Minister Boris Johnson struggles to impose his plan for localized restrictions on restive regions.
From 'role models' to sex workers: Kenya's child labor risesSome teenage girls in Nairobi have turned to sex work to help feed their families
6 Russian officers charged in 'destructive' hacking campaignThe Justice Department has announced charges against Russian intelligence officers in cyberattacks that targeted a French presidential election, the Winter Olympics in South Korea and American businesses
- 9:54 AMHuntley apartment fire displaces four families
- 9:47 AMNigeria puts curfew in Lagos against anti-police protests
- 9:39 AMNorthern Illinois Food Bank treats volunteers to movie night as a thank you
- 9:28 AMPixie post: Fairy letters offer advice, respite in Virginia
- 9:19 AMAP finds most arrested in protests aren't leftist radicals
- 9:00 AMAP Exclusive: 1,500 arrests in DEA violent crime initiative
- 8:53 AMNagorno-Karabakh fighting continues despite truce efforts
More Suburban News
- Lake CountyHow Lake County Board candidates assess COVID-19 response
- GenevaTwo suburban breweries medal at first virtual Great American Beer Festival
- EducationCOVID-19 cases force Prairie Ridge to return to remote learning
- AddisonAddison man dies from crash injuries
- Downers GroveDowners Grove man pleads guilty to trying to rob a North Central College student
- LibertyvillePolice looking for Libertyville carjackers
- EducationDistrict 116 to stick with remote learning for now
- NapervilleNaperville man charged with attempted child abduction
- Lake CountyLake circuit clerk candidates seek greater access to records
- ElginBlues harmonica virtuoso Corky Siegel helps Chamber Music on the Fox kick off season
- WaukeganPassenger killed in Waukegan crash
- PoliticsSchneider, Ramirez Mukherjee debate immigration, racial issues
- BarringtonConstable: At 100, WWII veteran reflects on good times amid hardship
- TransportationA woo-what? A woonerf is a pedestrian-friendly concept proposed for Arlington Heights
- St. CharlesSt. Charles reinstates late-night bar and restaurant permits
Through the Film Magnifier: Chubby Checker, Harrison Ford, Astronaut Jim Lovell and Dance Fever contestants