Tyre Nichols case shows officers still fail to intervene
As five Memphis police officers attacked Tyre Nichols with their feet, fists and a baton, others milled around at the scene, even as the 29-year-old cried out in pain and then slumped limply against the side of a car.
Pakistan bombing raises fears over security breach, 100 deadPakistani authorities scrambled on Tuesday to determine how a suicide bomber was able to carry out one of the country's deadliest militant attacks in years, unleashing an explosion in a crowded mosque inside a highly secured police compound in the city of Peshawar. The death toll from the blast climbed to 100.
Ukraine pushes for Western fighter jets after tank dealsUkraine is pushing its Western allies to provide it with fighter jets, a week after winning pledges of sophisticated modern tanks to help it beat back Russia's invasion force after almost a year of fighting.
AP source: FBI searched Biden's former office in NovemberThe FBI searched President Joe Biden's former office at the Penn Biden Center in Washington in November, according to a person familiar with the matter, at least a week after his personal lawyers first found classified records there from his time as vice president.
Kidnap suspect released day he arrived at Nevada prisonA man at the center of an intense police search in Oregon after a violent kidnapping last week was released from custody in October 2021 by Nevada prison officials on the same day he was transferred to the state's custody to serve a kidnapping sentence, authorities said Monday.
Santos temporarily steps down from House committees amid ethics issuesRepublican Rep. George Santos of New York told GOP colleagues Tuesday he is temporarily stepping down from his two congressional committees, a move that comes amid a host of ethics issues and a day after he met with House Speaker Kevin McCarthy.
Europe scrapes out economic growth by dodging gas disasterEurope's economy scraped out meager gains at the end of last year as galloping inflation fed by high energy prices and Russia's invasion of Ukraine deterred people from spending in shops and restaurants.
China accuses Washington of wanting 'technological hegemony'China's government accused Washington on Tuesday of pursuing "technology hegemony" following news reports the United States might step up pressure on tech giant Huawei by blocking all access to American suppliers.
Adult Happy Meals, McRib, feed McDonald's sales in fourth quarterAdult Happy Meals and other limited-time promotions boosted traffic at McDonald's restaurants during the fourth quarter despite higher prices.
Exxon profits at record high in 2022 as energy prices soaredExxon Mobil posted record annual profits in 2022 as Americans struggled with high prices for gasoline, home heating and consumer goods.
French officials say 1.27 million protested pension reformsAn estimated 1.27 million people took to the streets of French cities, towns and villages Tuesday, according to the Interior Ministry, in new massive protests against the government's key pension reform plans.
7th Memphis officer disciplined, EMTs fired in Nichols deathTwo more Memphis police officers have been disciplined and three emergency responders fired in connection with the death of Tyre Nichols, officials said Monday, widening the circle of punishment for the shocking display of police brutality after video showed many more people failed to help him beyond the five officers accused of beating him to death.
Remembering Cindy Williams and what she did besides 'Laverne & Shirley'Cindy William was among the most recognizable stars in America in the 1970s and '80s for her role as Shirley opposite Penny Marshall's Laverne on the beloved sitcom "Laverne & Shirley." But Williams worked with some of Hollywood's most elite directors in a film career that preceded her full-time move to television.
- 4:47 PMAppellate court upholds downstate restraining order on weapons ban
- 4:17 PMSt. Charles' new strategic plan calls for 'balanced and thoughtful' development
- 4:16 PMBillboard, hot dog stand's days are numbered as Schaumburg closes on purchase of eyesore site
- 4:12 PMCVS Pharmacy in St. Charles closing Wednesday
- 2:46 PMPot shop, cafe to open Friday in Wheeling
- 2:11 PMDriver dies after two-vehicle crash near Bensenville
- 1:53 PMElgin Theatre Company to stage salty comedy 'Sylvia'
More Suburban News
- CrimeElmhurst man pleads guilty to child porn charge
- ElginAutopsy determines man stabbed to death in Elgin Saturday
- WheelingPot shop, cafe to open Friday in Wheeling
- St. CharlesSt. Charles' new strategic plan calls for 'balanced and thoughtful' development
- NapervilleDist. 203 increasing substitute pay rate for retired teachers, 'surge' days
- EducationPark Ridge-Niles District 64 board member resigns
- InvernessFremd student expands mission to encourage girls to pursue STEM careers
- NewsDistrict 64 board to discuss replacing superintendent, board member
- BensenvilleMusicians Swap Meet returns Feb. 5 in Bensenville
- Des PlainesHow social service groups can get city funding in Des Plaines
- AlgonquinAlgonquin library starts conversation club for English language learners
- AlgonquinSherman Hospital ER manager named Advocate's Nurse Leader of the Year
- NapervilleNaperville man seriously injured in two-car crash
- Cook CountyCook County seeks suburban poll workers for April 4 election
- CrimeGlenview police searching for man who tried to kidnap a student