Wednesday, March 29, 2023
Russia stops sharing missile test info with US, opens drills
A senior Russian diplomat said Wednesday that Moscow will no longer inform the U.S. about its missile tests, an announcement that came as the Russian military deployed mobile launchers in Siberia in a show of the country's massive nuclear capability amid the fighting in Ukraine.
Biden starts democracy summit with $690M pledge for programsPresident Joe Biden is opening his second Summit for Democracy with a pledge for the U.S. to spend $690 million bolstering democracy programs around the globe.
Paris trash strike ends, pension protest numbers shrinkStriking sanitation workers in Paris are set to return to work Wednesday -- potentially ending one of the most enduring symbols of resistance to French President Emmanuel Marcon's controversial pension bill, as nationwide protests also appeared to be winding down.
Philippine police seize large stash of drugs in tea bagsPhilippine police seized more than 500 kilograms (more than half a ton) of suspected methamphetamine concealed in tea bags Wednesday and arrested a suspected Chinese drug dealer in a northern mountain resort city, police officials said.
Video shows Nashville police search school, fire at shooterNashville police released video Tuesday from a body-worn camera that shows a team of officers entering and searching an elementary school, then confronting and opening fire on an assailant who had murdered three children and three adults in the latest school shooting to roil the nation.
Israel tensions ease as Netanyahu pauses judicial overhaulIsrael's political factions opposed to embattled Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu began setting up negotiating teams Tuesday after he paused a controversial judicial overhaul plan that had triggered unprecedented street protests and a spiraling domestic crisis.
40 dead in fire at Mexico migrant center near US border; video shows guards walking awayAfter migrants in northern Mexico placed mattresses against the bars of their detention cell and set them on fire, guards quickly walked away and made no apparent attempt to release the men before smoke filled the room and killed at least 40, surveillance video showed Tuesday.
Feel the Force: Hamill carries 'Star Wars' voice to Ukraine"Attention. Air raid alert," the voice says with a Jedi knight's gravitas. "Proceed to the nearest shelter." It's a surreal moment in an already surreal war: the grave but calming baritone of actor Mark Hamill, Luke Skywalker of "Star Wars," urging people to take cover whenever Russia unleashes another aerial bombardment on Ukraine.
High tornado death toll in Mississippi like losing family"I had to identify family, that's what it felt like," said Sharkey County Coroner Angelia Eason. "We're a close-knit community; we're small. And when something like this happens, we tend to come together even closer. We didn't just lose 13 people, we lost 13 family members."
Study says warming-fueled supercells to hit South more oftenAmerica will probably get more killer tornado- and hail-spawning supercells as the world warms, according to a new study that also warns the lethal storms will edge eastward to strike more frequently in the more populous Southern states, like Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee.
Crowded Dist. 34 field split into two campsIn one of the more crowded Lake County races, 13 candidates are seeking six seats on the Antioch Elementary District 34 school board.
- 12:14 AMMount Prospect trustee candidates weigh in on possible new police patch
- 12:13 AMElk Grove Village likely the first town in the state to ban sale of THC products
- 12:12 AMThis Vietnam War Veterans Day, these two Navy veterans remember the real final battle, and rescue
- 8:45 PMFirefighter suffers minor injury while battling Algonquin blaze
- 8:14 PMPortugal: Refugee held as suspect in Muslim center stabbings
- 8:05 PMMonday night Ingleside fire leaves house uninhabitable
- 7:33 PMDuPage County Health Department Director Karen Ayala retiring June 30
Be the first to Know!
Get the NEWS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Suburban News
- EducationCrowded Dist. 34 field split into two camps
- WheelingGas station proposed for former Garden Fresh Plaza site in Wheeling
- DuPage CountyDuPage County Health Department Director Karen Ayala retiring June 30
- MundeleinMundelein not increasing license fees for outdoor dining on Park Street
- InglesideMonday night Ingleside fire leaves house uninhabitable
- AlgonquinFirefighter suffers minor injury while battling Algonquin blaze
- Prep FootballFootball: Grayslake Central, Elk Grove, Conant announce new coaches
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Two more MSL coaching icons stepping down
- Prep SportsMinnesota commit Skroch's sharp outing leads Yorkville past Marmion
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Jacobs offense breaks through in 4-0 win over Larkin
- Prep SportsGirls soccer: Raschke, Machala strike twice apiece, St. Charles East rolls past Burlington Central
- Prep SportsBaseball: St. Charles North's bats come alive in win at Prospect
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect trustee candidates weigh in on possible new police patch
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove Village likely the first town in the state to ban sale of THC products
- NewsThis Vietnam War Veterans Day, these two Navy veterans remember the real final battle, and rescue