Tuesday, June 6, 2023
Collapse of major dam in southern Ukraine triggers emergency as Moscow and Kyiv trade blame
A major dam in southern Ukraine collapsed Tuesday, flooding villages, endangering crops and threatening drinking water supplies as both sides in the war scrambled to evacuate residents and blamed each other for the destruction.
Normandy marks D-Day's 79th anniversary, honors World War II veteransAn overwhelming sound of gunfire and men's screams. That's how World War II veteran Marie Scott described D-Day, as Tuesday's ceremonies got underway in honor of those who fought for freedom in the largest naval, air and land operation in history.
LGBTQ+ Americans are under attack, Human Rights Campaign declares in state of emergency warningThe Human Rights Campaign declared a state of emergency for LGBTQ+ people in the U.S. on Tuesday and released a guidebook summarizing laws it deems discriminatory in each state, along with "know your rights" information and resources to help people relocate to states with stronger LGBTQ+ protections.
Senior U.S., Chinese diplomats hold 'candid' talks to avoid escalation of tensionsSenior U.S. and Chinese diplomats held "candid and productive" talks in Beijing and agreed to keep open lines of communication to avoid tensions from spiraling into conflict, officials said Tuesday.
Migrants in Sacramento receive food, housing as officials weigh charges against FloridaReligious groups worked Tuesday to feed and house South American migrants who were flown to Sacramento under allegedly false pretenses. Meanwhile, California officials were weighing whether Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and his administration should face kidnapping or other charges for arranging the flights.
Iran unveils what it calls a hypersonic missile amid tensions with U.S.Iran claimed on Tuesday that it had created a hypersonic missile capable of traveling at 15 times the speed of sound, adding a new weapon to its arsenal as tensions remain high with the United States over Tehran's nuclear program.
White House website highlights infrastructure as Biden pushes policy winsThe White House on Tuesday is launching a website to map and track tens of thousands of infrastructure projects and private manufacturing investments, an effort by the administration to show the positive impact of its policies on the U.S. economy to a skeptical public.
Ukrainian dam breach: What is happening and what's at stakeThe dramatic rupture of the dam that upheld Ukraine's largest reservoir released a torrent of water Tuesday, raising fears of widespread damage and flooding in areas where tens of thousands of people live.
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie launches 2024 Republican presidential bidFormer New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has filed paperwork formally launching his bid for the Republican nomination for president ahead of a town hall event in New Hampshire Tuesday evening.
A boat carrying 180 Rohingya refugees vanished. A phone call helped untangle the mystery.The Rohingya are a people nobody wants. This stateless Muslim minority has suffered decades of persecution in their homeland of Myanmar, where they have long been viewed as interlopers by the Buddhist majority.
PGA Tour and European tour agree to merge with Saudis and end LIV Golf feudThe PGA Tour ended its expensive fight with Saudi Arabia's golf venture and now is joining forces with it, making a stunning announcement Tuesday of a merger that creates a commercial operation with the Public Investment Fund and the European tour.
Ukraine brands Russia 'terrorist state' to open hearings in case against Russia at top UN courtLawyers for Ukraine told the United Nations' top court Tuesday that Russia bankrolled a "campaign of intimidation and terror" by rebels in eastern Ukraine starting in 2014 and sought to replace Crimea's multiethnic community with "discriminatory Russian nationalism" after its occupation and annexation of the region.
Prince Harry testifies tabloids destroyed his childhood but fails to recall specific storiesPrince Harry's historic showdown Tuesday with the publisher of a British tabloid exposed his deep suspicions of the press but offered little concrete evidence to support accusations of phone hacking that he said caused so much anguish in his life.
- 5:26 PMBuffalo Grove officials working to resolve nonworking cameras at train station
- 5:24 PMMan drowns in Woodridge pond
- 5:18 PMIllinois Google users to receive about $95 each as part of settlement
- 4:50 PMNaperville man accused of throwing rocks at seniors, beating one with lumber
- 4:29 PMBatavia officials express concern about bike safety
- 3:50 PMFamily members, first responders lauded for saving two Hoffman Estates men with CPR
- 3:44 PMDefense hopes to exclude more statements made to police in 1972 Naperville murder case
Be the first to Know!
Get the NEWS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Suburban News
- NapervilleNaperville man accused of throwing rocks at seniors, beating one with lumber
- BataviaBatavia officials express concern about bike safety
- NewsMan drowns in Woodridge pond
- St. CharlesSt. Charles City Council creates Equity and Inclusion Commission, appoints members
- NapervilleRibbon-cutting scheduled for Springbrook Golf Course
- GenevaLearn more about Geneva road projects at two meetings
- Des PlainesFoxtail on the Lake in line to receive $750,000 from Des Plaines
- BataviaEmagine Batavia finally opens in former Randall 15 theater location
- Hanover ParkHanover Park man charged with murder in fatal stabbing of teen
- Oakbrook TerraceNo more red-light cameras on Route 83 in Oakbrook Terrace, judge rules
- PalatinePalatine detective earns national honor for preventing teen's victimization
- SchaumburgNational Parkway roundabout construction begins this week in Schaumburg
- NewsChild hospitalized after being pulled from Northbrook pool
- AuroraDry conditions contribute to Aurora garage fire
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove officials working to resolve nonworking cameras at train station
Geneva, Wheaton North, Wheaton Warrenville South, Aurora Central Catholic and Willows academy graduation ceremonies