Fragile truce in Gaza is extended as Israel faces pressure to spare civilians if fighting resumes
A fragile truce between Israel and Hamas entered its fifth day on Tuesday, with the militant group promising to release more hostages to delay the expected resumption of the war and Israel under growing pressure to spare Palestinian civilians when it renews its offensive.
The U.S. tells Israel any ground campaign in southern Gaza must limit further civilian displacementThe Biden administration has told Israel that it must work to avoid "significant further displacement" of Palestinian civilians in southern Gaza if it renews its ground campaign aimed at eradicating the Hamas militant group, senior U.S. officials said.
Freed Israeli hostage describes deteriorating conditions while being held by HamasAn Israeli hostage freed by Hamas said in an interview that she was initially fed well in captivity until conditions worsened and people became hungry. She was kept in a "suffocating" room and slept on plastic chairs with a sheet for nearly 50 days.
Jimmy Carter set to lead presidents, first ladies in mourning and celebrating Rosalynn CarterRosalynn Carter will be memorialized Tuesday with classical music and beloved hymns, some of her favorite Biblical passages, and a rare gathering of all living U.S. first ladies and multiple presidents, including her 99-year-old husband Jimmy Carter.
In new challenge to indictment, Trump's lawyers argue he had good basis to question election resultsDonald Trump had a "good faith" basis to question the results of the 2020 election, his lawyers said in demanding that prosecutors turn over any evidence related to voting irregularities and potential foreign interference in the contest won by Democrat Joe Biden.
Hunter Biden tells Congress he'll testify publicly, setting up a potential high-stakes face-offHunter Biden offered Tuesday to testify publicly before Congress, striking a defiant note in response to a subpoena from Republicans and setting up a potential high-stakes faceoff even as a special counsel probe unfolds and his father, President Joe Biden, campaigns for reelection.
Koch network endorses Nikki Haley in Republican presidential primaryAmericans for Prosperity, the political arm of the powerful Koch network, formally endorsed Nikki Haley's presidential campaign on Tuesday, promising to commit its nationwide army of activists -- and virtually unlimited funds -- to helping Haley defeat former President Donald Trump in the GOP primary contest.
South Korea delays its own spy satellite liftoff, days after North's satellite launchSouth Korea has postponed the planned launch of its first military spy satellite set for this Thursday, officials said, days after rival North Korea claimed to put its own spy satellite into orbit for the first time.
Cities crack down on homeless encampments. Advocates say that's not the answerTossing tent poles, blankets and a duffel bag into a shopping cart and three wagons, Will Taylor spent a summer morning helping friends tear down what had been their home and that of about a dozen others. It wasn't the first time and wouldn't be the last.
France to ban smoking on beaches as it seeks to avoid 75,000 tobacco-related deaths per yearFrance will ban smoking on all beaches, in public parks, forests and some other public areas as part of a national anti-tobacco plan presented by the health minister on Tuesday.
Greek officials angry and puzzled after UK's Sunak scraps leaders' meeting over Parthenon MarblesGreek officials said Tuesday that they will continue talks with the British Museum about bringing the Parthenon Marbles back to Athens, despite U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak abruptly canceling a meeting with his Greek counterpart where the contested antiquities were due to be discussed.
Indian rescuers pull out all 41 workers who were trapped in a tunnel for 17 days, minister saysIndia's transportation minister said Tuesday that all 41 construction workers who were trapped in a collapsed mountain tunnel in the country's north for more than two weeks have been pulled out after rescuers reached them earlier in the day.
- 10:03 AMCasten, Foster, Schakowsky, Quigley and Garcia facing primary challenges
- 7:10 AMTornadoes forecast in the Black Sea region as storm reportedly impacts Russian military operations
- 6:28 AMArtist captures essence of St. Charles in coffee mug design
- 6:28 AMDeck the White House halls: Jill Biden wants holiday visitors to feel like kids again
- 6:25 AMRichardson Christmas Tree Farm kicks off holiday season by donating more than 100 trees to troops
- 6:24 AMPending legislation would allow small modular nuclear reactors in Illinois. What are they?
- 6:24 AMLooking for some holiday fun? Check out the Naperville Municipal Band's free concert
More Suburban News
- NewsDistrict 25 board starts interviewing for Bein successor
- ElginElgin man convicted of sexually assaulting a child
- AntiochPolice: Man pointed crossbow at officers after leading them on high-speed chase
- NewsDistrict 303 to hold public meetings on enrollment zone changes
- BataviaFour people apply for Batavia 7th Ward city council seat
- LibertyvilleLibertyville police investigating series of vehicle thefts, break-ins
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove community blood drive set for Dec. 2
- ElburnElburn implementing hefty fines for distracted driving
- GenevaGeneva to host program on soil and water conservation
- NapervilleLooking for some holiday fun? Check out the Naperville Municipal Band's free concert
- PalatinePalatine police hosting winter clothing drive
- NewsSen. Murphy collecting holiday cards for residents long-term care facilities
- St. CharlesArtist captures essence of St. Charles in coffee mug design
- PoliticsCasten, Foster, Schakowsky, Quigley and Garcia facing primary challenges
- Buffalo Grove'I just want to find out who the artist is': Man hoping to solve mystery behind Wrigley painting