McCarthy becomes the first speaker ever to be ousted from the job in a House vote
Speaker Kevin McCarthy was voted out of the job Tuesday in an extraordinary showdown, a first in U.S. history that was forced by a contingent of hard-right conservatives and threw the House and its Republican leadership into chaos.
Pritzker urges Biden to intervene amid 'untenable' pace of migrant arrivalsAs Chicago prepares this week for an increase in the already steady stream of migrants arriving from the southern U.S. border, Gov. J.B. Pritzker is once again publicly pressuring President Joe Biden to play a larger role in coordinating relocation efforts.
Pandas could be gone from America's zoos by the end of next yearThe San Diego zoo returned its pandas in 2019, and the last bear at the Memphis, Tennessee, zoo went home earlier this year. The departure of the National Zoo's bears would mean that the only giant pandas left in America are at the Atlanta Zoo -- and that loan agreement expires late next year.
Biden says that all 10 drugs targeted for the first Medicare price negotiations will participatePresident Joe Biden announced Tuesday that the manufacturers of all of the first 10 prescription drugs selected for Medicare's first price negotiations have agreed to participate, clearing the way for talks that could lower their costs in coming years and give him a potential political win heading into next year's election.
New York judge issues limited gag order after Trump sends disparaging post about court clerkA New York judge sternly imposed a limited gag order in Donald Trump's civil business fraud trial Tuesday after the former president disparaged a key court staffer.
Britain's COVID-19 response inquiry enters a second phase with political decisions in the spotlightBritain's inquiry into the response to the coronavirus pandemic and its impact on the nation entered its second phase Tuesday, with political decision-making around major developments, such as the timing of lockdowns, set to take center stage.
The Supreme Court seems likely to side with the Consumer Financial Protection BureauEven some conservative justices sounded skeptical of arguments that the agency, created after the 2008 financial crisis to regulate mortgages, car loans and other consumer finance, violates the Constitution in the way it is funded.
India tells Canada to remove 41 of its 62 diplomats in the country, an official saysIndia has told Canada to remove 41 of its 62 diplomats in the country, an official familiar with the matter said Tuesday, ramping up a confrontation between the two countries over Canadian accusations that India may have been involved in the killing of a Sikh separatist leader in suburban Vancouver.
Shooting at a major Bangkok shopping mall kills 3, and a suspect is in police custodyA shooter opened fire inside a major shopping mall in the center of Thailand's capital Tuesday afternoon, killing three people before being apprehended, authorities said.
Michigan school shooter's parents cleared to stand trial on involuntary manslaughter chargesThe parents of a teenager who killed four students at Michigan's Oxford High School lost an appeal Tuesday and will face trial on involuntary manslaughter charges, a rare case of prosecutors attempting to pin some responsibility for a school shooting on the perpetrator's family.
Few Americans say conservatives can speak freely on college campuses, an AP-NORC/UChicago poll showsAmericans view college campuses as far friendlier to liberals than to conservatives when it comes to free speech, with adults across the political spectrum seeing less tolerance for those on the right, according to a new poll.
- 6:21 PMWhy District 207 is getting a $44,904 payout from Big Tobacco company
- 6:08 PMMore than $7,400 raised for family of Round Lake Beach motorcyclist who died in Sunday crash
- 5:51 PMDistrict 214 launches ethics probe into all-expense-paid trip
- 5:32 PMLake County, Elgin to receive $1 million each to assist asylum-seekers
- 4:59 PMOne dead after early morning, single-vehicle crash in Park Ridge
- 4:38 PMSecond Fox River boat crash victim identified
- 4:25 PM2 arrested after stolen car crashes in Elmhurst
More Suburban News
- DuPage CountyPretrial release denied for man accused of leading police on chase
- GenevaGeneva council OKs third extension for 60-apartment building
- DuPage CountyDuPage County Board members collecting items for family shelter
- ElginSTEM diversity webinar for girls hosted by Fremd student's group set for Tuesday
- Round Lake BeachMore than $7,400 raised for family of Round Lake Beach motorcyclist who died in Sunday crash
- NapervilleGot your license plate memorized? You'll need it to park in Naperville commuter lots
- Crime2 arrested after stolen car crashes in Elmhurst
- Lake BluffWadsworth man identified as driver killed in rollover near Lake Bluff
- Elk Grove VillageElk Grove increasing police presence at Grove Junior High
- Cook CountyCook County releases plan to provide digitial equity
- Des PlainesImmigrants lost $20,000 in citizenship scam, Des Plaines police say
- NewsSpeakers needed to share career advice at Libertyville High School
- Des PlainesEnjoy the music of Cole Porter at Des Plaines Public Library event Sunday
- Hoffman EstatesHoffman Estates hosts Coffee with the Board Oct. 21
- CarpentersvilleCarpentersville police dogs to lead 'Paws for a Cause' walk Saturday