Situation 'dire' as Coast Guard seeks 38 missing off Florida
The Coast Guard battled time and currents Wednesday as its planes and ships searched for 38 people missing off the coast of Florida, four days after a suspected human smuggling boat capsized in a storm.
Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pickLiberal Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer is retiring, giving President Joe Biden an opening he has pledged to fill by naming the first Black woman to the high court, two sources told The Associated Press Wednesday.
Russia threatens retaliation if Ukraine demands not metThe U.S. has made no concessions to the main Russian demands over Ukraine and NATO in a long-awaited written response delivered to Russia on Wednesday in Moscow, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.
Biden's big test: Proving he can rally allies against PutinPresident Joe Biden's effort to rally support, both at home and abroad, ahead of a potential Russian invasion of Ukraine is just the latest big test of his ability to bridge ideological gaps and balance competing interests to build effective coalitions.
India's Republic Day parade curtailed amid COVID-19Thousands of people braved a morning chill on a ceremonial boulevard in India's capital to watch a display of the country's military power and cultural diversity, but the colorful annual Republic Day spectacle was curtailed amid COVID-19
California city approves 1st US insurance law for gun ownersA California city has voted to require gun owners to carry liability insurance in what's believed to be the first measure of its kind in the United States
China 2008 vs 2022: Richer, stronger, more confrontationalRicher, more heavily armed and openly confrontational, China has undergone history-making changes since the last time it hosted the Olympics, in 2008
Ukrainian leaders: Stay calm, Russian invasion not imminentUkraine's leaders sought Tuesday to reassure the nation that an invasion from neighboring Russia was not imminent, even as they acknowledged the threat is real and received a shipment of U.S. military equipment to shore up their defenses.
Abortion opponents eye priorities as high court ruling loomsIn the nearly two months since a conservative majority of justices on the Supreme Court indicated openness to dramatic new restrictions on abortion, money has poured into the political fundraising arm of the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List.
Report: Ghostly monkey among 224 new Mekong region speciesA monkey with ghostly white circles around its eyes is among 224 new species listed in the World Wildlife Fund's latest update on the Mekong region
Diaspora group: Ethiopia PM open to talks with Tigray forcesA diaspora group says Ethiopia's prime minister has said there will be negotiations on a cease-fire between his government and the rival Tigray forces who have been waging war for almost 15 months
- 6:27 PMEXPLAINER: 'Excited delirium' and George Floyd
- 6:19 PMFirefighter says she urged officers to let her help Floyd
- 6:19 PMVaccine mandate to kick in for first wave of health workers
- 6:10 PMIllinois man surfed porn site before fatal crash: charges
- 5:54 PMCook Couty commissioner now in remission after cancer treatment
- 5:52 PMWorld's oldest male gorilla dies at Atlanta zoo at age of 61
- 5:47 PMIllinois Supreme Court weighing use of campaign funds for defense bills
More Suburban News
- GrayslakeRound Lake area-driver charged in crash that killed Grayslake man
- SchaumburgSchaumburg changing aviation services provider at airport for first time
- Elk Grove VillageMissing Elk Grove Village man found safe
- Pingree GroveNo injuries reported in Pingree Grove warehouse fire
- St. CharlesNo injuries in downtown St. Charles fire
- LibertyvilleCellphones taken in Libertyville robbery
- Kane CountyKane County tax increases back on the table in time for local elections
- NewsRiver Trails District 26 superintendent stepping down
- ElginBail set for five charged after Elgin shooting
- PalatinePark Ridge man charged with stalking ex-girlfriend with car tracking device
- NapervilleIndian Prairie District 204 touts social, emotional learning accomplishments in second year
- GenevaProposed Geneva budget would add planning worker, firefighter
- BataviaBatavia City Council approves new downtown kiosks to promote local businesses
- GrayslakeSheriff: Driver who crashed car near Mundelein offered to pay witnesses not to call 911
- Lake CountyIncumbents gearing up for Lake County Board campaigns