Lightfoot promises 'reform is here' as she becomes Chicago's 56th mayor
Lori Lightfoot, who ran for Chicago's top job as a first-time reform candidate with few ties to the city's entrenched political structure, was sworn in as its 56th mayor Monday during a ceremony that noted her historic firsts.
Trump tells ex-counsel McGahn to defy congressional subpoenaPresident Donald Trump is directing former White House counsel Don McGahn to defy a congressional subpoena
Why Lori Lightfoot might succeed at passing historic Chicago police reformsLori Lightfoot will have a powerful ally after she's sworn in Monday as Chicago mayor in seeking to fulfill a campaign promise to overhaul the Police Department in the nation's third-largest city: a judge with authority to hold reform slackers in contempt.
Amid #MeToo, states debate teaching consent to kidsIn the era of #MeToo, lawmakers, educators and teens themselves are re-examining whether sex education needs to evolve to better address some of the issues in society today.
South Korea vows to send aid to North quickly, may send foodSouth Korea has vowed to move quickly on plans to provide $8 million worth of medical and nutritional aid for North Korean children and is also considering sending broader food aid to the country, which says it's suffering its worst drought in decades
'Mindless murdering savages': Authorities say border agent used slurs before hitting migrantAgent Matthew Bowen is charged with striking a Guatemalan man with his truck and lying about it on reports.
A jewelry box led police to revisit hundreds of deaths. They may have found a serial killer.Police say that Billy Chemirmir smothered his victims with pillows before robbing them. Because his victims were elderly women who lived alone, their deaths were not considered suspicious.
Five things to know about Morehouse donor Robert F. SmithSmith lit up the crowd when he said he'd cover all the student loan debt for Morehouse's 2019 grads. But the billionaire has largely kept a low profile.
Police find fault with legal pot: How do you test drivers for it?Legalizing marijuana will add to the already difficult job of convicting stoned drivers, local law enforcement officials say. Driving high is a reality now, supporters counter, and the proposed law will reduce crime.
Why Trump should be worried about Justin AmashThe Republican congressman from Michigan who called for Trump's impeachment has threatened a Libertarian Party bid for president. He could damage Trump in some key states.
AP FACT CHECK: Trump cries 'treason' over campaign scrutinyAP FACT CHECK: Trump cries 'treason' over campaign scrutiny despite its sanctioning by a surveillance warrant
- 4:15 PMDrug-induced homicide charges in death of St. Charles-area man
- 4:11 PMA bar for people who like to break things is coming to Elmhurst
- 4:10 PMBoy to be charged after Instagram threat
- 4:02 PMAlabama police capture suspect; 1 officer slain, 2 wounded
- 4:00 PMAustrian government collapses over Ibiza video scandal
- 3:59 PMBlue Apron latest to suffer in tough meal kit market
- 3:54 PMFirst black official in Atlantic Coast Conference dies
More Suburban News
- CrimeBoy to be charged after Instagram threat
- LombardLombard teams clean chemicals from storm drain
- WaucondaRacist graffiti spray-painted on Wauconda playground equipment
- Downers GroveDowners Grove police seeking help in solving April robbery
- NewsWheeling Township District 21 moving toward full-day kindergarten by 2020-21
- Buffalo GroveVernon Township, other agencies collecting school supplies for needy students
- Des PlainesDes Plaines River canoe race roars back after one-year hiatus
- NewsElectrical fire closes Park Ridge school
- Mount ProspectTwo injured when street sweeper rolls in Mount Prospect
- News211 help line available in Kane and McHenry, soon in Lake
- Long GroveLane closures planned on Route 53 in Long Grove
- Prep SportsGirls track and field: Glenbard West's Hart goes the distance for triple crown
- Prep SportsGirls track and field: It's back-to-back high jump titles for Wauconda's Daun
- Prep SportsGirls water polo: Stevenson downs Naperville North to make it a state 3-peat
- Prep SportsBoys tennis: Barrington first, Jacobs second at Huntley sectional
Through the Film Magnifier: Chicago Bulls, Flight 191 Crash, Rainbow Records, Ray Meyer, Slot Cars and more