Evacuations lifted as progress made against fires in US West
Firefighters in Oregon reported good progress in the battle against the nation's largest wildfire, while authorities canceled evacuation orders near a major blaze in Northern California and another in Hawaii
Berlin protesters decry coronavirus measures; 600 detainedThousands have turned out in Berlin to protest the German government's anti-coronavirus measures despite a ban on the gatherings, leading to clashes with police and the detention of some 600 protesters
Evictions expected to spike as federal moratorium endsHousing courts around the country are expected to get busy starting Monday after the federal eviction moratorium lifted over the weekend
Refugees pushed to back of the line amid vaccine shortagesMillions of refugees living in crowded camps are waiting for their COVID-19 vaccines
4 killed in helicopter crash in remote California regionThe Colusa County Sheriff's Department says four people aboard a helicopter were killed when it crashed Sunday in a remote area of Northern California
CDC team: 'War has changed' as delta variant dangers emergeNew evidence showing the delta variant is as contagious as chickenpox and may be more dangerous than other versions has prompted U.S. health officials to consider changing advice on how the nation fights the coronavirus, internal documents show.
Death toll jumps to more than 300 in recent China floodingChinese authorities have announced a large jump in the death toll from recent floods
Olympics Latest: 6 banished for breaking COVID rulesTokyo Olympics organizers say they have banished six people for breaking rules designed to protect against COVID-19 cases
53 winners of pot shop license lottery announcedFollowing a year of acrimony and delays, state officials have announced that 53 firms entered in the state's first pot shop lottery had earned the rights to 55 lucrative licenses.
New law aims to expand affordable housing through $75 million investment, tax creditsGov. J.B. Pritzker on Thursday signed a measure aimed at increasing affordable housing investment in Illinois, as well as a measure expanding the state's low-income energy assistance program.
Biden to allow eviction moratorium to expire SaturdayThe Biden administration on Thursday announced it will allow a nationwide ban on evictions to expire Saturday, arguing that its hands are tied after the Supreme Court signaled it could only be extended until the end of the month.
- 9:37 AMIsraeli court's compromise would avoid Palestinian evictions
- 9:36 AMThe Latest: Hong Kong updates travel rules to fight virus
- 9:27 AMActivists: Belarus Olympian plans to seek asylum in Poland
- 9:27 AMGerman prosecutors mull probe into flood warnings
- 9:19 AMGoing, going, gone: Bensenville neighborhood makes way for O'Hare area industrial development
- 8:50 AMEllen Roberts named vice president for administrative affairs at College of DuPage
- 8:39 AMSkipper: Docs show no coverup in submarine sinking
More Suburban News
- BensenvilleWith Mohawk Terrace gone, what happens to its neighborhood park?
- NewsArt at the Glen returns to Glenview for the 18th year
- LombardLombard police inviting people to sign up for Citizen's Police Academy
- Kane CountyOpen house Tuesday to discuss solar power proposal for Kane jail, court building
- Long GroveCan Long Grove find a way to keep drivers from hitting bridge cover?
- WheelingWheeling village board meets Monday to talk finances
- Wheaton'Postage paid': Wheaton neighborhood honors letter carrier retiring after four decades
- Villa ParkBoy found dead in Villa Park apartment Saturday morning
- GurneeGurnee police seek man last seen at memory care facility
- NewsKane, Lake counties now at 'substantial' COVID-19 risk, rounding out surge in all suburbs
- West DundeePolice release photos of suspects in West Dundee road rage beating death
- PalatineHundreds in Palatine sign petition asking to allow backyard hens
- BartlettBartlett 'health care hero' advocates for physician assistants
- Lake ZurichIf cases rise, Lake Zurich schools will require masks
- St. CharlesBeef Shack returning to St. Charles after closing in 2020
Through the Film Magnifer, Walter Payton, Shadow Traffic, Danny Thomas at Woodfield Mall, Julia Child and more