Looters descend on downtown Chicago; more than 100 arrested
Hundreds of looters descended on downtown Chicago early Monday following a police shooting on the city's South Side, with vandals smashing the windows of dozens of businesses and making off with merchandise, cash machines and anything else they could carry, police said.
Why Biden's choice of running mate matters more than usual this yearFor all the secrecy and speculation that typically surrounds the search for a vice presidential candidate, the decision rarely sways an election. But ahead of Joe Biden's imminent announcement, this year could be different.
Trump end run around Congress raises questions on his claimsPresident Donald Trump's end run around Congress on coronavirus relief is raising questions about whether it would give Americans the economic lifeline he claims and appears certain to face legal challenges. Democrats called it a pre-election ploy that would burden cash-strapped states.
Blast destroyed landmark 19th century palace in BeirutThe 160-year-old Sursock palace in Beirut withstood two world wars, the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the French mandate and Lebanese independence
States on hook for billions under Trump's unemployment planWhether President Donald Trump has the constitutional authority to extend federal unemployment benefits by executive order remains unclear. Equally up in the air is whether states, which are necessary partners in Trump's plan to bypass Congress, will sign on.
AP FACT CHECK: Trump's smoke and mirrors on executive ordersPresident Donald Trump isn't telling the full story when it comes to his executive order on coronavirus relief payments
Court record in Colombia reveals Uribe's mounting legal bindHarried WhatsApp messages, secretly recorded meetings and intercepted phone calls build the backbone of a monumental Supreme Court investigation against powerful former Colombian President Alvaro Uribe for alleged witness tampering
Indonesia's Sinabung volcano ejects towering column of ashIndonesia's rumbling Mount Sinabung has erupted with a column of volcanic materials shooting high into the sky
NGOs say 7 aid workers are among victims of Niger attackFrench and Swiss NGOs say seven of the eight people killed by gunmen in a Niger giraffe park were aid workers in the West African country
Extreme poverty rises and a generation sees future slip awayDecades of progress in one of modern history's greatest achievements, the fight against extreme poverty, are now in danger
China sanctions 11 US politicians, heads of organizationsChina has announced unspecified sanctions against 11 U.S. politicians and heads of organizations promoting democratic causes, including Senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, who have already been singled out by Beijing
Protester dies in clashes after disputed Belarus voteThe Belarusian Interior Ministry says one protester has died in clashes with police in the capital Minsk
- 2:00 AMIs it safe to ride public transit during the pandemic?
- 1:41 AMLithuanian foreign minister: Leading opposition candidate in Belarus' presidential election has fled to Lithuania.
- 12:41 AMConstraints gone, GOP ramps up effort to monitor voting
- 12:30 AMHundreds ransack downtown Chicago businesses after shooting
- 11:52 PMShooting near White House interrupts Trump's briefing on TV
- 11:19 PMTrump abruptly escorted from briefing after shooting near WH
- 11:00 PMToday in History
More Suburban News
- WheatonPeople's Resource Center providing school supplies to families in need
- Downers GroveJuvenile charged in Downers Grove, Warrenville carjackings to be tried as an adult
- LibertyvilleNo injuries in Medline warehouse blaze
- Lake ZurichLake Zurich residents prefer rebuilding Paulus Park Barn with a new floor
- Lake VillaMount Prospect-based manufacturing firm to expand in Lake Villa
- NapervilleNaperville aiming for police diversity from large hiring pool
- Oakbrook TerraceRamp closure Tuesday in Oakbrook Terrace
- NewsWauconda District 118 budget going up because of COVID-19 crisis, officials say
- NewsStevenson High hires diversity director after racial controversies
- BartlettGlendale Heights man charged with theft of golf clubs in Bartlett
- GenevaCOVID-19 puts the brakes on bike sales, repairs
- NewsFinancing, soil problems delay Hickory-Kensington apartments in Arlington Heights
- Prep SportsHigh school golf hopes to set example of safe return
- Prep SportsA message to fall sports student-athletes: Have fun, and be safe
- Kane CountyKane County is ready for votes by mail
Through the Film Magnifier: Bill Veeck, George Hamilton, Bridge Club, Stateville Prison riot and more