Migrant camp along Texas border shrinks as removals ramp up
A camp where more than 14,000 migrants had waited along the Texas border just days ago was dramatically smaller Thursday, while across the river in Mexico, Haitian migrants in a growing camp awoke surrounded by security forces as a helicopter thundered overhead.
CDC approval will get boosters going for 65+, high-risk, including those with risky jobsThe Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday endorsed booster shots for millions of older or otherwise vulnerable Americans, opening a major new phase in the U.S vaccination drive against COVID-19.
U.S. special envoy to Haiti resigns over migrant expulsionsThe Biden administration's special envoy to Haiti has resigned, protesting "inhumane" large-scale expulsions of Haitian migrants to their homeland wracked by civil strife and natural disaster, U.S. officials said Thursday.
Tensions grow as U.S., allies deepen Indo-Pacific involvementWith increasingly strong talk in support of Taiwan, a new deal to supply Australia with nuclear submarines, and the launch of a European strategy for greater engagement in the Indo-Pacific, the U.S. and its allies are becoming more assertive in their approach toward a rising China.
EPA rule sharply limits HFCs, gases used as refrigerantsIn what officials call a key step to combat climate change, the Environmental Protection Agency is sharply limiting domestic production and use of hydrofluorocarbons, highly potent greenhouse gases commonly used in refrigerators and air conditioners.
UN: In war, 16 million Yemenis 'marching' toward starvationThe head of the U.N. food agency says 16 million people in Yemen are marching toward starvation and more funding is needed
Dozens of Afghan children arrive in Chicago after evacuationOfficials say dozens of Afghan children have arrived in Chicago as refugees evacuated from Afghanistan during the U.S. withdrawal continue to reach American cities
In Israel, relatives of cable car survivor ask for privacyRelatives of a six-year-old boy who survived a cable car crash in Italy are appealing for privacy during a custody battle
Ancient tablet acquired by Hobby Lobby going back to IraqIt was looted from an Iraqi museum 30 years ago, Now, a 3,500-year-old clay tablet discovered in the ruins of the library of an ancient Middle Eastern king is finally headed back to Iraq
UK police probe killing of woman walking alone in LondonBritish police investigating the killing of a 28-year-old woman in London say they are probing whether she was attacked by a stranger
The jail where Jeffrey Epstein killed himself is crumblingOnce hailed as a prototype for a new kind of federal jail and the most secure in the country, New York's Metropolitan Correctional Center has become a blighted wreck
Woman arrested on suspicion of starting California blazeA woman has been arrested on suspicion of starting a Northern California wildfire that spread rapidly, burning homes and prompting evacuation orders in a rural community
- 2:24 AMJailbreak shines light on mass incarceration of Palestinians
- 1:39 AMHaitians see history of racist policies in migrant treatment
- 12:38 AMBuckle up: Arizona Republicans to show 2020 recount results
- 11:59 PMThe AP Interview: Hungary committed to contentious LGBT law
- 11:00 PMToday in History
- 10:59 PMAP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
- 10:26 PMMigrant camp along Texas border shrinks as removals ramp up
More Suburban News
- Des PlainesDes Plaines man accused of downloading child porn
- ItascaItasca taking time before final vote on Haymarket drug treatment center
- Villa ParkTwo men charged with carjacking woman in Villa Park
- PoliticsHearing delayed in school workers' court fight about COVID-19 vaccination mandate
- CrimeThree teenagers charged in Elmhurst car burglaries
- NapervilleGroundbreaking set for Naperville Gold Star Families Memorial Monument
- PalatinePolice: Palatine woman arrested after accosting teen
- Prospect HeightsPop-up art show Saturday in Prospect Heights
- Prep SportsBoys golf: Waubonsie Valley mounts epic comeback at DVC tourney
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 football games in the Northwest suburbs
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 DuPage County football games
- Prep FootballScouting Week 5 football games in Lake County
- DuPage CountyDuPage County transfers for June 2 to Aug. 12, 2021
- Kane CountyKane County transfers for July 20 to Aug. 12
- Lake CountyLake County transfers for Aug. 6 to 11, 2021
Everything from 9/11 memorials to high school football is reflected in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for September 11-17, 2021.