WNBA's Brittney Griner goes on trial in Russian court
American basketball star Brittney Griner went on trial Friday, 4 1/2 months after her arrest on charges of possessing cannabis oil while returning to play for a Russian team, in a case that has unfolded amid tense relations between Moscow and Washington.
Russian missiles kill at least 21 in Ukraine's Odesa regionA Russian airstrike on residential areas killed at least 21 people early Friday near the Ukrainian port of Odesa, authorities reported, a day after the withdrawal of Moscow's forces from an island in the Black Sea had seemed to ease the threat to the city.
Court leaves dwindling paths for Biden's climate missionMore than 500 days into his presidency, Joe Biden's hope for saving the Earth from the devastating effects of climate change may not be dead
European force battling extremists withdraws from MaliA European military task force fighting extremists in Mali has formally withdrawn from the West African country amid tensions with its ruling military junta
Putin's week: Facing NATO expansion, West's unity on UkraineIt hasn't been an easy week for Russian President Vladimir Putin
Rights group: Palestinians torture detainees with impunityAn international rights group says Palestinian authorities in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip systematically torture critics in detention, a practice that could amount to crimes against humanity
Ketanji Brown Jackson sworn in, becomes 1st Black woman on Supreme CourtThe 51-year-old Jackson is the court's 116th justice and she took the place Thursday of the justice she once worked for. Justice Stephen Breyer's retirement took effect at noon.
Biden backs filibuster exception to protect abortion accessPresident Joe Biden said Thursday that he would support an exception to the Senate filibuster to protect access to abortion after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.
Supreme Court limits EPA in curbing power plant emissionsIn a blow to the fight against climate change, the Supreme Court on Thursday limited how the nation's main anti-air pollution law can be used to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
Today in History: July 1, Medicare program takes effectToday in History Today is Friday, July 1, the 182nd day of 2022. There are 183 days left in the year.
Holiday cookout cost for 10 people: $69.68, up 17% from last year. Here's why.Your holiday cookout Monday will cost about 17% more overall than last year, agriculture interests say, and there are many reasons for the increase.
- 8:09 PMAs ballot count continues, District 25 referendum 'yes' votes in the lead for the first time
- 7:51 PMNY overhauls handgun rules in effort to preserve some limits
- 7:36 PMRaising Cane's to replace shuttered Buona Beef in Rolling Meadows
- 7:21 PMNew Tropical Storm Bonnie heads for hit on Central America
- 6:53 PMProsecutors seek to keep charges alive in Flint water crisis
- 6:37 PMRussian missiles kill at least 21 in Ukraine's Odesa region
- 6:10 PMMonkeypox cases triple in Europe, WHO says, Africa concerned
More Suburban News
- StreamwoodStreamwood man dies after two-vehicle crash near La Grange Tuesday
- Lake CountyAuthorities: Man faces grooming charges after interacting with undercover detectives online
- BarringtonBarrington settles with delinquent property owner
- NapervilleNaperville reviewing landmarking procedures
- HuntleyHuntley receives proposal for new facility on south end of town
- McHenry CountyHow McHenry County might use settlement money to battle the opioid epidemic
- CaryCary School District 26 superintendent to retire at end of 2022-23 school year
- CrimeLearn about cybercrime at Maine Township program
- Hoffman EstatesThe Arboretum of South Barrington sold to Hoffman Estates-based Heidner Properties
- BarringtonBarrington High School improvements get OK from village board
- WheatonMan charged with burglarizing Wheaton library cafe
- AddisonIndependence Day parades step off around the suburbs this weekend
- PoliticsAs ballot count continues, District 25 referendum 'yes' votes in the lead for the first time
- Rolling MeadowsRaising Cane's to replace shuttered Buona Beef in Rolling Meadows
- ElginLearning On the Go provides books, lunch, fun for young kids in Elgin area