Thursday, June 1, 2023
After sailing though House on bipartisan vote, debt ceiling deal now goes to Senate
Veering away from a default crisis, the House overwhelmingly approved a debt ceiling and budget cuts package, sending the deal that President Joe Biden and Speaker Kevin McCarthy negotiated to the Senate for swift passage in a matter of days, before a fast-approaching deadline.
NATO presses Turkey to approve Sweden's membership, eyes Ukraine security plan as summit loomsNATO on Thursday ramped up pressure on member nation Turkey to drop its objections to Sweden's membership as the military organization seeks to deal with the issue by the time U.S. President Joe Biden and his counterparts meet next month.
DeSantis campaigns in New Hampshire as Trump returns to campaign trail in IowaFormer President Donald Trump returns to the campaign trail Thursday as his chief rival for the GOP presidential nomination, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, is undertaking his first swing through early voting states as an official candidate.
Coast Guard suspends search for Carnival Magic passenger who went overboard off FloridaThe U.S. Coast Guard has suspended the search for a 35-year-old man who was reported missing from a Carnival cruise ship off of Florida's Atlantic Coast.
Decorated Australian war veteran unlawfully killed prisoners in Afghanistan, judge saysAustralia's most decorated living war veteran unlawfully killed prisoners and committed other war crimes in Afghanistan, a judge ruled Thursday in dismissing the claims by Victoria Cross recipient Ben Roberts-Smith that he was defamed by media.
In the Amazon region where pair was killed, neglect and allegations of harsh justiceOne year ago on a Friday afternoon, Bruno Pereira, an expert on Indigenous peoples, and Dom Phillips, a British journalist, motored along the Itaquai river in far western Brazil, to the settlement of Ladario. The line of wooden houses here marks a boundary -- between the sprawling Javari Valley Indigenous Territory in the Brazilian Amazon and the non-Indigenous world.
India pauses plans to add new coal plants for five years, bets on renewables, batteriesThe Indian government will not consider any proposals for new coal plants for the next five years and focus on growing its renewables sector, according to an updated national electricity plan released Wednesday evening.
North Korean leader's sister says US hypocritical for criticizing failed satellite launchThe powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Thursday accused the United States of "gangster-like" hypocrisy for criticizing her country's failed launch of a military spy satellite and insisted a successful launch will be made soon.
The 2023 Atlantic hurricane season is now underway. Here's what to know.It's time for residents along the southeastern U.S. coastlines to make sure their storm plans are in place as the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season gets underway on Thursday.
A wave of retirements is leaving some U.S. industries desperate to hireA surge of retirements, along with a slowdown in immigration that began during the pandemic, are the primary factors behind the labor shortages that continue to bedevil some employers.
Amazon to pay $31 million in privacy violation penalties for Alexa voice assistant and Ring cameraAmazon agreed Wednesday to pay a $25 million civil penalty to settle Federal Trade Commission allegations it violated a child privacy law and deceived parents by keeping for years kids' voice and location data recorded by its popular Alexa voice assistant.
U.S. turns up pressure on air bag inflater company that refuses a recall despite deathsThe U.S. government is turning up the pressure on ARC Automotive to recall 67 million potentially dangerous air bag inflators by ordering the company to answer questions under oath and threatening fines if it doesn't respond.
Jordan's crown prince weds scion of Saudi family in ceremony packed with stars and symbolismJordan's crown prince married the scion of a prominent Saudi family on Thursday in a palace ceremony attended by royals and other VIPs from around the world, as massive crowds gathered across the kingdom to celebrate the region's newest power couple.
- 11:24 AMDuPage Water Commission wants own pipeline from Lake Michigan
- 9:24 AMBiden's age paid off in negotiations to end debt-limit crisis
- 9:23 AMCeilings, sausages and the pain of watching
- 9:13 AMPalatine keeps Red Roof Inn closed in wake of illicit activity
- 9:00 AM'Suspicious' fire at Elgin apartment building causes $75,000 in damage
- 8:59 AMReport: Small plane crashes into cornfield in Sugar Grove
- 8:27 AM$2,000 tickets at Soldier Field? Even the biggest Taylor Swift fans have their limits
Be the first to Know!
Get the NEWS daily in your inbox.
Recommended for You
More Suburban News
- BataviaBatavia teachers union, school board reach new contract agreement
- AuroraMan gets 40 years for Aurora murder, where he thought victim was in rival gang
- Kane CountyKane State's Attorney Jamie Mosser to seek second term
- Elgin'Suspicious' fire at Elgin apartment building causes $75,000 in damage
- AuroraTwo Aurora residents charged in women's stabbings
- Downers GroveTwo bridges reopen in Hidden Lake Forest Preserve near Downers Grove
- PoliticsKatz Muhl to challenge Carroll for 57th District state representative
- Prep SportsSoftball: Savage's stellar pitching leads Lake Park over South Elgin in sectional semifinal
- Prep SportsBaseball: Person, defense lead Burlington Central to sectional semifinal victory over Lemont
- Prep SportsBaseball: Lake Forest takes advantage of hot bats, Cary-Grove errors
- Prep SportsBaseball: Stevenson's 5-run first too much for Libertyville to overcome
- Prep SportsSoftball: Antonucci listens to coach, slugs Wauconda to sectional win over Carmel
- DuPage CountyDuPage Water Commission wants own pipeline from Lake Michigan
- Sugar GroveReport: Small plane crashes into cornfield in Sugar Grove
- Glen EllynA first for Illinois: Glen Ellyn installs playground made of recycled ocean waste
Geneva, Wheaton North, Wheaton Warrenville South, Aurora Central Catholic and Willows academy graduation ceremonies