Pfizer says COVID-19 vaccine more than 90% effective in kids
Kid-size doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine appear safe and nearly 91% effective at preventing symptomatic infections in 5- to 11-year-olds, according to study details released Friday as the U.S. considers opening vaccinations to that age group.
EXPLAINER: Is it time to get a COVID-19 booster? Which one?Millions more Americans just became eligible for COVID-19 boosters but figuring out who's eligible and when can be confusing -- and adding to the challenge is that this time around, people can get a different type of vaccine for that extra dose.
Alec Baldwin fired prop gun on set, killing cinematographerAlec Baldwin fired a prop gun on the set of a Western and killed the cinematographer in what the actor Friday called a "tragic accident." The director of the movie was wounded, and authorities were investigating.
Gang boss in Haiti threatens to kill abducted missionariesThe boss of a notorious Haitian gang accused of kidnapping 17 members of a U.S.-based missionary group last weekend is warning that the hostages will be killed if his demands aren't met
16 killed in Russian gunpowder factory blastRussian emergency officials say 16 people have been killed by an explosion and fire at a gunpowder factory
In South Sudan, flooding called 'worst thing in my lifetime'This is the third straight year of extreme flooding in South Sudan
Queen Elizabeth II back at castle following hospital visitBritain's Queen Elizabeth II is back at Windsor Castle and in good spirits after revelations that she spent the night in a London hospital earlier this week
What is the 'delta plus' variant of the coronavirus?British officials have identified a relative of the delta variant
6 Rohingya die in clashes between two groups in BangladeshTwo groups of Rohingya refugees have clashed in a camp in southern Bangladesh, leaving at least six refugees dead and 10 others injured, police say
Award-winning teenage rapper shot to death in SwedenAn award-winning 19-year-old Swedish rapper has been shot to death in southern Stockholm in an incident that media reports suggest could be gang-related
Illinois COVID-19 hospitalizations drop below 1,300 patientsIllinois hospitals are reporting fewer than 1,300 COVID-19 patients for the first time since Aug.7, according to Illinois Department of Public Health records.
- 2:04 PMDay care owner gets 6 years for hiding 26 kids in basement
- 1:53 PMWaubonsee faculty asserts college president isn't following COVID-19 mitigations
- 1:52 PMIsrael outlaws Palestinian rights groups, alleging terrorism
- 1:46 PMAurora police taking back unused prescription drugs on Saturday
- 1:43 PMBaldwin: Killing of cinematographer was 'tragic accident'
- 1:32 PMPeter Scolari of 'Newhart,' 'Bosom Buddies,' dies at 66
- 1:25 PMPalatine American Legion offering commemorative bricks
More Suburban News
- AuroraAurora police taking back unused prescription drugs on Saturday
- LisleMorton Arboretum plans 'global search' for new leader
- West ChicagoSentencing postponed for West Chicago-area kennel operator convicted of cruelty, neglect
- BusinessFormer AT&T building in downtown Arlington Heights to get new life
- InglesideNo injuries in Ingleside barn fire
- LibertyvilleLibertyville historical walking tour set for Sunday
- EducationPublic quiet during hearing on $26M kindergarten plan in Dist. 64
- NapervilleDist. 203 high schools adding homeroom periods to schedule
- PalatinePalatine American Legion offering commemorative bricks
- Glendale HeightsPolice: Shot was fired as Glendale Heights resident was threatened by family member
- SchaumburgSchaumburg man charged in St. Louis-to-Chicago gunrunning scheme
- LombardTwo in custody after attempted robbery in Lombard
- Prep SportsGirls volleyball: Fremd is good as gold as 50th MSL champ
- Sugar GroveWaubonsee faculty asserts college president isn't following COVID-19 mitigations
- Long Grove'I will always remember her kindness': Former Long Grove Village President Maria Rodriguez has died
Owls, pumpkin patches and football games means it's autumn in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 2-8, 2021.