New omicron variant stokes world fears, triggers travel bans
The discovery of a new coronavirus variant sent a chill through much of the world Friday as nations raced to halt air travel, markets fell sharply and scientists held emergency meetings to weigh the exact risks, which were largely unknown.
As Europe virus cases surge, UK plows on with its new normalThe bars are shut in Vienna, and the Christmas market is empty in Munich, as several European nations tighten up or even lock down to combat a spike in coronavirus infections.
Towering musical theater master Stephen Sondheim dies at 91Stephen Sondheim, the songwriter who reshaped the American musical theater in the second half of the 20th century with his intelligent, intricately rhymed lyrics, his use of evocative melodies and his willingness to tackle unusual subjects, has died. He was 91.
France lashes out at Britain's latest proposal on migrantsFrance has reacted angrily to new British proposals for dealing with the deadly flow of migrants between their shores
FDA: Merck COVID pill effective, experts will review safetyFederal health regulators say an experimental COVID-19 pill from Merck is effective against the virus, but they will seek input from outside experts on risks of birth defects and other potential problems during pregnancy.
Israel warns of 'emergency' after detecting new virus strainPrime Minister Naftali Bennett said Israel is "on the threshold of an emergency situation" on Friday after authorities detected the country's first case of a new coronavirus variant in a traveler who returned from Malawi.
Judge: No bail for man charged in 2 Chicago teens' slayingsA judge has rejected bail for an 18-year-old man who allegedly opened fire on a group of Chicago teenagers last summer, killing two of them
1,600 migrants lost at sea in Mediterranean this yearThe sinking of a boat with more than 30 people on board this week is the deadliest migration tragedy to date in the English Channel
How Chicago-area theaters gave Stephen Sondheim musicals a boostChicago arts institutions played an important part in the development of two musicals by Stephen Sondheim. And the American theater legend who died Friday at age 91 also has been celebrated by suburban venues over decades.
Elgin Farmers Market draws more shoppers, vendors than in 2020The 21st season of the Elgin Farmers Market brought more people and more vendors downtown than in 2020, according to the Downtown Neighborhood Association's end-of-season report.
Glen Ellyn-Wheaton Chorale's 'Wintersong' returns with a 'Merry and Bright' theme Dec. 3-4The Glen Ellyn-Wheaton Chorale presents "Wintersong 2021: Merry and Bright" on Friday and Saturday, Dec. 3-4, at College Church in Wheaton.
- 9:06 PMEXPLAINER: What is this new COVID variant in South Africa?
- 9:04 PMWorld races to contain new COVID threat, the omicron variant
- 8:50 PMShoppers flock to malls for Black Friday, even with changes in hours, capacity limits
- 8:30 PMBarbra Streisand, Lea Salonga, more mourn Stephen Sondheim
- 8:13 PMTowering musical theater master Stephen Sondheim dies at 91
- 8:12 PMArlington Heights, Schaumburg delight in the lights
- 7:50 PMPerfectionist. Genius. Icon. That was Stephen Sondheim
More Suburban News
- Buffalo GroveGiant menorah will be lit on first night of Hanukkah in Buffalo Grove
- CaryCary man accused of walking away from DUI crash
- Vernon HillsDirector for Vernon Hills volleyball club suspended for racial remark
- CaryCary man charged with traveling to meet minor at Shorewood store
- St. CharlesDistrict 303 school board to continue to discuss board vacancy
- NewsVisitation Sunday for Argonne National Laboratory firefighter who died on duty
- WheatonDuPage Forest Preserve permits go on sale Dec. 1
- RosemontState representative sponsors holiday decorating contest
- North AuroraSanta to visit North Aurora police station
- Prep FootballSpring success key to Wheaton North's state run
- Prep FootballScouting the Class 8A championship game between Maine South and Lockport
- Prep FootballScouting the Class 6A football championship game between Cary-Grove and East St. Louis
- ElginElgin Farmers Market draws more shoppers, vendors than in 2020
- Boys' BasketballOswego East's defense denies Neuqua Valley tourney title
- MundeleinMultiple fire departments respond to Mundelein fire