1st US case of COVID omicron variant confirmed in California
A person in California who had been vaccinated against COVID-19 became the first in the U.S. to have an identified case of the omicron variant, the White House announced Wednesday as scientists continue to study the risks posed by the new virus strain.
Michigan teen charged in Oxford High School shootingA 15-year-old boy was charged Wednesday with murder, terrorism and other crimes for a shooting that killed four fellow students and injured others at a Michigan high school.
Justices signal they'll OK new abortion limits, may toss RoeThe Supreme Court's conservative majority on Wednesday signaled it would uphold Mississippi's 15-week ban on abortion and may go much further to overturn the nationwide right to abortion that has existed for nearly 50 years.
Omicron unravels travel industry's plans for a comebackTourism businesses that were just finding their footing after nearly two years of devastation wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic are being rattled again as countries throw up new barriers to travel in an effort to contain the omicron variant.
U.S. reports 1st case of omicron variant in returning travelerThe U.S. recorded its first confirmed case of the omicron variant Wednesday -- a person in California who had been to South Africa -- as scientists around the world raced to establish whether the new, mutant version of the coronavirus is more dangerous than previous ones.
8th juror seated for Potter trial in Daunte Wright's deathProsecutors and attorneys for the suburban Minneapolis police officer charged in Daunte Wright's shooting death seated four more jurors for her trial Wednesday, including a woman who said she owns both a gun and a stun gun.
Police: Jussie Smollett 'upset' camera didn't record attackJussie Smollett, who is accused of lying to police when he reported he was the victim of racist and homophobic attack in downtown Chicago, appeared troubled when he was told that a surveillance camera did not record the alleged assault, a police detective testified Wednesday.
Jan. 6 panel to vote on contempt against former DOJ officialThe House panel investigating the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol insurrection will vote on pursuing contempt charges against a former Justice Department official Wednesday as the committee aggressively seeks to gain answers about the violent attack by former President Donald Trump's supporters.
Loyalty to family, instead of CNN, puts Chris Cuomo at riskThere's family, and your job as a journalist. Chris Cuomo's willingness to put the latter at risk in service to his brother has led to his suspension by CNN.
Mysteries of omicron variant could take weeks to untangleA pandemic-weary world faces weeks of confusing uncertainty as countries restrict travel and take other steps to halt the newest potentially risky coronavirus mutant before anyone knows just how dangerous omicron really is.
Unique effort reopens girls' schools in an Afghan provinceWhile most high school girls in Afghanistan are forbidden to attend class by the Taliban rulers, one major exception is in the western province of Herat
Investigators track ammunition in fatal film set shootingAuthorities are pursuing new leads on possible sources of live ammunition involved in actor Alec Baldwin's fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of a western movie
- 2:52 AMRights group says Myanmar forces purposely killed protesters
- 2:07 AM9 of 14 picked for jury for trial in Daunte Wright's death
- 12:43 AMAP: US military explosives vanish, emerge in civilian world
- 12:34 AMJapan retracts new flight bookings ban after criticisms
- 12:27 AMMichigan teen, 15, charged in Oxford High School shooting
- 12:03 AMSmollett defense set to cross-examine star state witness
- 12:00 AMToday in History
More Suburban News
- Naperville'We have to start an open dialogue': School, law leaders discuss District 203 and 204 security
- McHenry CountyReports: Seven hospitalized after acid spill at Harvard food plant
- LibertyvilleLibertyville loses second former police chief in a week as Pat Carey dies
- GrayslakeGrayslake fire leaves 5 apartments uninhabitable
- Des PlainesMore catalytic converter thefts in Des Plaines
- Girls' BasketballBuffalo Grove's defense shuts down Jacobs
- Girls' BasketballMcLaughlin, Batavia dump Lake Park
- Boys' BasketballCrystal Lake South gets past Dundee-Crown
- Lake ForestCarmel routs Lake Forest in battle of unbeatens
- Prep SportsGirls bowling: Scouting the 2021-2022 season in the Northwest suburbs
- Prep SportsBoys bowling: Scouting the 2021-2022 season in Lake County
- Girls' GymnasticsGirls gymnastics: Scouting the 2021-2022 season in Lake County
- AlgonquinPolice: Two Algonquin residents dead in suspected domestic violence situation
- Girls' BasketballBalanced Burlington Central puts away Hampshire
- KildeerFire consumes Kildeer house