Virus keeps Black Friday crowds thin, shoppers shift online
The raging coronavirus pandemic kept crowds thin at malls and stores across the country on Black Friday, but a surge in online shopping offered a beacon of hope for struggling retailers after months of slumping sales and businesses toppling into bankruptcy.
Appeals court rejects Trump challenge of Pennsylvania racePresident Donald Trump's legal team suffered yet another defeat in court Friday as a federal appeals court in Philadelphia roundly rejected the campaign's latest effort to challenge the state's election results.
Virus-killing robot prowls airports as pandemic travel picks up, but how much does it help?A COVID-killing robot? It's being tested out as a way to sanitize surfaces, but it doesn't address airborne transfer of the bug.
Stocks rise on Wall Street as S&P 500 hits recordThe S&P 500 is closing a shortened session at a record high Friday as investors continue to look forward to the distribution of a COVID-19 vaccine and relief for the economy.
Thailand, Philippines sign for AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccineThailand has signed a deal to procure 26 million doses of a trial coronavirus vaccine developed by pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca in collaboration with Oxford University
In Santa's mailbag, a peek into children's pandemic worriesLetters pouring by the tens of thousands into Santa's mailbox offer a glimpse into the worries and hopes of children awaiting a pandemic-hit Christmas
Central Illinois animal shelters seeing fewer adoptionsPEKIN, Ill. (AP) - You might think that staying closer to home during a pandemic would result in more pet adoptions. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Holly Crotty, executive director of the Tazewell Animal Protection Society (TAPS) in Pekin said that, as of November 2019, the non-profit/no-kill animal shelter had sent 1,509 animals to permanent homes. As of last week, TAPS animal adoption totals were only 1,239 this year for the same time frame.
Chicago man allegedly dragged 2 NW Indiana officers with SUVA Chicago man faces nearly a dozen felony charges after he allegedly dragged two police officers with an SUV, running over one of them, as they investigated a disturbance at a northwestern Indiana home
Biden plans swift moves to protect and advance LGBTQ rightsAs vice president in 2012, Joe Biden endeared himself to many LGBTQ Americans by endorsing same-sex marriage even before his boss, President Barack Obama
- 12:30 PMUS-Pres-Sum,100
- 12:28 PMIran's supreme leader vows revenge over slain scientist
- 12:04 PMRecord 3 million Hoosiers cast ballots for November election
- 11:51 AMPoland: Marches oppose abortion restriction, police violence
- 11:43 AMTony Hsieh, retired Zappos CEO, dies at 46
- 11:33 AMFrench protesters decry bill outlawing use of police images
- 11:32 AMPope elevates 13 new cardinals then puts them in their place
More Suburban News
- SchaumburgAuto body shop in Schaumburg unstable after fire
- AlgonquinActing Algonquin village president announces plans to run in upcoming election
- Green OaksAesthetic railing, lights part of Libertyville bridge design
- NapervilleNew police, sustainability positions added to Naperville's proposed 2021 budget
- McHenry CountyIncoming McHenry County Board chairman tasked with appointing two members to fill vacant seats
- RoselleFocus is on weight loss at MediWellness in Roselle
- St. CharlesSt. Charles school district finds storage solution: the mall
- Lake CountyWork on merger of Lake County recorder of deeds, clerk offices to begin in January
- Fox LakeFree COVID-19 testing in Lake County is coming to Grayslake and Fox Lake in December
- Girls' BasketballLucky 13? Antioch senior Webb could become school's first 13-time varsity letter-winner
- Deer ParkImages: Black Friday shopping at Deer Park Town Center, across the country
- DuPage CountyDuPage County doubles gas tax
- AlgonquinAlgonquin's virtual inspection program catching on
- WheatonLights, conifers, action at Cosley Zoo
- NapervilleNaperville council nixes downtown streetscape project from 2021 budget
Testing lines, Santa visits, great weather golfing and turkey giveaways are in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for November 7-20, 2020.
Through the Film Magnifier: Glen Campbell, Steve Garvey, Globetrotters, Scrabble tournaments and more
We experienced incredible moments in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 31-November 6, 2020.