Looters descend on downtown Chicago; more than 100 arrested
Hundreds of looters descended on downtown Chicago early Monday following a police shooting on the city's South Side, with vandals smashing the windows of dozens of businesses and making off with merchandise, cash machines and anything else they could carry, police said.
Why Biden's choice of running mate matters more than usual this yearFor all the secrecy and speculation that typically surrounds the search for a vice presidential candidate, the decision rarely sways an election. But ahead of Joe Biden's imminent announcement, this year could be different.
Trump end run around Congress raises questions on his claimsPresident Donald Trump's end run around Congress on coronavirus relief is raising questions about whether it would give Americans the economic lifeline he claims and appears certain to face legal challenges. Democrats called it a pre-election ploy that would burden cash-strapped states.
Blast destroyed landmark 19th century palace in BeirutThe 160-year-old Sursock palace in Beirut withstood two world wars, the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the French mandate and Lebanese independence
States on hook for billions under Trump's unemployment planWhether President Donald Trump has the constitutional authority to extend federal unemployment benefits by executive order remains unclear. Equally up in the air is whether states, which are necessary partners in Trump's plan to bypass Congress, will sign on.
AP FACT CHECK: Trump's smoke and mirrors on executive ordersPresident Donald Trump isn't telling the full story when it comes to his executive order on coronavirus relief payments
Court record in Colombia reveals Uribe's mounting legal bindHarried WhatsApp messages, secretly recorded meetings and intercepted phone calls build the backbone of a monumental Supreme Court investigation against powerful former Colombian President Alvaro Uribe for alleged witness tampering
Indonesia's Sinabung volcano ejects towering column of ashIndonesia's rumbling Mount Sinabung has erupted with a column of volcanic materials shooting high into the sky
NGOs say 7 aid workers are among victims of Niger attackFrench and Swiss NGOs say seven of the eight people killed by gunmen in a Niger giraffe park were aid workers in the West African country
Extreme poverty rises and a generation sees future slip awayDecades of progress in one of modern history's greatest achievements, the fight against extreme poverty, are now in danger
China sanctions 11 US politicians, heads of organizationsChina has announced unspecified sanctions against 11 U.S. politicians and heads of organizations promoting democratic causes, including Senators Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, who have already been singled out by Beijing
Storms roll through the suburbsWind gusts of 80 mph and quarter size hail have been reported with the storms.
National Express Transit (NEXT) donates vehicle to Housing ForwardCDT, owned by National Express Transit (NEXT) in Lisle, donated a caravan vehicle to Housing Forward, a nonprofit committed to transitioning people from housing crisis to housing stability. The vehicle donation will be used to support their Hotel to Home Initiative.
- 4:46 PMRepublicans say expanded mail voting in Illinois is partisan 'scheme'
- 4:44 PM'Explore Palatine' set for Sept. 12
- 4:40 PMIllinois reports 1,319 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death
- 4:23 PM1 dead, 6 rescued after gas explosion levels Baltimore homes
- 4:11 PMMount Prospect-based manufacturing firm to expand in Lake Villa
- 4:08 PMHigh school golf hopes to set example of safe return
- 4:01 PMA message to fall sports student-athletes: Have fun, and be safe
More Suburban News
- Downers GroveJuvenile charged in Downers Grove, Warrenville carjackings to be tried as an adult
- Lake VillaMount Prospect-based manufacturing firm to expand in Lake Villa
- EducationStevenson High redesigns procedures for reporting discrimination, harassment
- Oakbrook TerraceRamp closure Tuesday in Oakbrook Terrace
- NewsWauconda District 118 budget going up because of COVID-19 crisis, officials say
- Crime2 men carjack Jeep on Ogden Avenue in Westmont
- NapervilleNaperville election petitions available in mid-August
- BarringtonSouth Hart Road targeted for reopening by Aug. 17 in Barrington
- Carol StreamCarol Stream police seeking info on Friday night attack
- ElginElgin police investigate Friday shooting
- Lake ZurichBlood drive planned in Lake Zurich
- NewsWrong-way driver killed in Crystal Lake crash
- NewsLook: Lipizzan leaps delight crowd at Tempel Farms in Old Mill Creek
- Mount ProspectMount Prospect dedicates pocket park across from village hall to Busses
- Palatine'Explore Palatine' set for Sept. 12
Through the Film Magnifier: Bill Veeck, George Hamilton, Bridge Club, Stateville Prison riot and more