Joe Biden appeals for unity in Thanksgiving-eve address
In a time of plague and raw division, President-elect Joe Biden appealed for unity Wednesday in a Thanksgiving-eve address to the nation asking Americans to "steel our spines" for a fight against the coronavirus that he predicted would continue for months.
'America is back': Biden pushes past Trump era with nomineesDeclaring "America is back," President-elect Joe Biden introduced his national security team, his first substantive offering of how he'll shift from Trump-era "America First" policies by relying on experts from the Democratic establishment to be some of his most important advisers.
With hope high for vaccine, Britain prepares to roll it outWith major COVID-19 vaccines showing high levels of protection, British officials are cautiously -- and they stress cautiously -- optimistic that life may start returning to normal by early April.
Analysis: Biden prioritizes experience with Cabinet picksPresident-elect Joe Biden has prized staying power over star power when making his first wave of Cabinet picks and choices for White House staff, with a premium placed on government experience and proficiency as he looks to rebuild a depleted and demoralized federal bureaucracy.
Q&A: Will Twitter, Facebook crack down on Trump?For the past four years, President Donald Trump has enjoyed the special status of a world leader on Twitter and Facebook, even as he used his perch atop the social media pyramid to peddle misinformation and hurl abuse at his critics.
U.S. jobless claims rise to 778,000 as pandemic worsensThe number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits rose last week to 778,000, evidence that the U.S. economy and job market remain under strain as coronavirus cases surge and colder weather heighten the risks.
27 COVID deaths at Illinois vets nursing home prompts probeState officials have launched investigations into a coronavirus outbreak at a veterans nursing home in Illinois that has infected nearly 200 residents and staff members, and killed 27 veterans.
A migrant's odyssey from boat to COVID nursing job in SpainMbaye Babacar Diouf's life as a migrant in Europe took a turn for the better when he was adopted in Spain at the age of 28
Keep the mask: A vaccine won't end the U.S. crisis right awayDespite the expected arrival of COVID-19 vaccines in just a few weeks, it could take several months -- probably well into 2021 -- before things get back to something close to normal in the U.S. and Americans can once again go to the movies, cheer at an NBA game or give Grandma a hug.
Hong Kong leader lauds new security law despite criticismHong Kong leader Carrie Lam is lauding the city's new national security law as 'remarkably effective in restoring stability,' despite criticism that it is severely narrowing the space for free speech and political opposition in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory
China's Xi congratulates Biden, hopes for 'win-win' tiesChinese President Xi Jinping has congratulated U.S. President-elect Joe Biden and expressed hope for 'win-win cooperation' amid conflicts over trade, technology and security
- 7:57 AMThey're baaack: Trump and allies still refuse election loss
- 7:55 AMThailand approved transfer of 3 Iranians as Australian freed
- 7:50 AMUS-Pres-Sum,100
- 7:42 AMEurope signs $102M deal to bring space trash home
- 6:49 AM'Why now?' Dismay as US considers troop pullout from Somalia
- 6:45 AMUS-House-Sum,100
- 6:45 AMUS-Senate-Sum,100
More Suburban News
- BarringtonKmet surprises childhood mentor with Bears swag
- Oak BrookMan gets 10-year sentence for carjacking in Oak Brook
- WayneNeed a little Christmas? Downtown Wheaton shines bright for the holidays
- GurneeSecond man arrested in Gurnee-area murder
- Glen EllynNo serious injuries in Glen Ellyn apartment fire
- NewsCar parade helps Arlington Heights couple celebrate 70th anniversary
- WheatonDuPage County Board OKs $483.3M budget for fiscal 2021
- McHenry CountyMcHenry County businesses that violate COVID-19 rules could avoid court under proposal
- GrayslakeHow to donate a holiday ornament to someone in the hospital
- Girls' BasketballHernandez finds basketball home at UW-Milwaukee
- Villa ParkCOVID-19 testing sites in DuPage adapt to winter weather
- NewsMundelein High to host virtual talent show
- SchaumburgMissing Schaumburg woman located at home
- RosemontSuburban stores prepare for safer, more socially distanced Black Friday
- GenevaLittle Traveler shuts doors temporarily, as part of fight against COVID-19
Testing lines, Santa visits, great weather golfing and turkey giveaways are in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for November 7-20, 2020.
Through the Film Magnifier: Glen Campbell, Steve Garvey, Globetrotters, Scrabble tournaments and more
We experienced incredible moments in The Week in Pictures photo gallery for October 31-November 6, 2020.