'It was the wrong decision': Police waited 45 minutes in school before pursuing shooter
Nearly 20 officers stood for about 45 minutes in the hallway outside the adjoining Texas classrooms where the gunman killed students and teachers this week before U.S. Border Patrol agents unlocked the door to confront and kill him, authorities said Friday.
Senators talk expanded gun background checks, red flag lawsA bipartisan group of senators is considering how Congress should respond to the horrific shooting of 19 children and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas, restarting gun control talks that have broken down many times before.
Biden to console families in Uvalde, press for actionPresident Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden will travel to Uvalde, Texas, on Sunday to console families and honor victims of Tuesday's mass school shooting in which 19 children and two teachers were killed.
Russia slams sanctions, seeks to blame West for food crisisMoscow pressed the West on Thursday to lift sanctions against Russia over the war in Ukraine, seeking to shift the blame for a growing food crisis that has been worsened by Kyiv's inability to ship millions of tons of grain and other agricultural products due to the conflict.
Kevin Spacey charged in UK with 4 counts of sexual assaultBritish prosecutors said Thursday they have charged actor Kevin Spacey with four counts of sexual assault against three men, an announcement that came as the actor was in court in New York testifying in a different case.
Lawsuit: 13-year-old's hands up when shot by Chicago policeA 13-year-old boy shot in the back by a Chicago police officer was unarmed and had his arms raised to surrender when he was hit by the bullet, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday, saying the incident illustrates deeply flawed implementation of department policy on the pursuit of suspects.
US Census Bureau: Big city losses early in COVID pandemicEight of the 10 largest cities in the U.S. lost population during the first year of the coronavirus pandemic
'Goodfellas' co-stars, many others pay tribute to Ray LiottaTributes are pouring in for actor Ray Liotta, who died at age 67 in the Dominican Republic
'No future for babies:' 842 US-bound Haitians end up in CubaSome of the more than 840 Haitians who tried to reach the United States in a boat but ended up in Cuba say Thursday that they fled violence in their country and were charged thousands of dollars by smugglers who ushered them onto a dilapidated boat and later abandoned them at sea
Ex-Danish police employee charged in huge hacking caseA former employee with the Danish police has been charged with hacking and attempted hacking of 140 employees' mobile phones, and accessing more than 100 cases of investigative material, including images of child pornography and private photos from a large number of people
Alan White, longtime drummer for prog rock's Yes, dead at 72Alan White, the longtime drummer for progressive rock pioneers Yes who also played on projects with John Lennon and George Harrison, has died
- 5:27 PMCary-Grove Freemasons' car show will be at Spring Hill Mall on Sunday
- 5:22 PMRally to end gun violence set for Sunday at Cook Park
- 5:17 PMLake Villa Township GOP club's gun raffle postponed indefinitely: 'Not the right time'
- 5:07 PMCorrection: Texas-School-Shooting-Victims story
- 5:06 PMTexas elementary school shooting: What do we know so far?
- 5:05 PMNRA meets in Texas after school massacre, protest roils
- 5:03 PM'Precious individuals' taken in Texas school shooting
More Suburban News
- Carol StreamGlenbard North student charged with disorderly conduct over drawings seen as threats
- Elk Grove VillagePopeyes proposed at Elk Grove Town Center
- Mundelein1980s-era Oak Creek Plaza center in Mundelein being cleared for townhouse development
- AddisonSixth-grader charged with making threats against Wheaton school
- Fox LakeFox Lake man dies from motorcycle crash injuries
- Third LakeRapist faces 10 to 45 years in prison
- LibertyvilleRally to end gun violence set for Sunday at Cook Park
- SchaumburgSchaumburg trolley resuming daily service on Memorial Day
- VoloVolo handyman mistaken for kidnapper
- West DundeeCary-Grove Freemasons' car show will be at Spring Hill Mall on Sunday
- AuroraMetea Valley sophomore accused of cutting another student during fight
- AuroraThree newcomers seek GOP nomination for state Senate District 49
- Prep SportsSoftball: Elk Grove advances to regional championship game
- Prep SportsBoys volleyball: Libertyville avenges Stevenson loss, wins regional
- Prep SportsBoys volleyball: Glenbard West sweeps South Elgin in regional final