What you need to do to get your government stimulus check
The IRS and Treasury have provided more details on how to ensure you get paid. Here are the basics.
Trump says 'life and death' at stake in following guidelinesPresident Donald Trump warned Americans to brace for a "hell of a bad two weeks" ahead as the White House projected there could be 100,000 to 240,000 deaths in the U.S. from the coronavirus pandemic even if current social distancing guidelines are maintained.
New York deaths double in 3 days, with worst to comeNew York authorities rushed to bring in an army of medical volunteers Wednesday as the statewide death toll from the coronavirus doubled in three days to more than 1,900 and the wail of ambulances in the otherwise eerily quiet streets of the city became the heartbreaking soundtrack of the crisis.
States largely have authority over when to shut down, reopenPresident Donald Trump has the biggest megaphone, but it's governors and local officials who will decide what type of restrictions to impose on their citizens to try to slow the spread of the coronavirus. The Constitution largely gives states the authority to regulate their own affairs.
Coast Guard: Cruise ships must stay at sea with sick onboardThe U.S. Coast Guard has directed all cruise ships to prepare to treat any sick passengers and crew on board while being sequestered "indefinitely" offshore during the coronavirus pandemic.
Rural areas fear spread of virus as more hospitals closeAs the coronavirus spread across the United States, workers at the lone hospital in one Alabama county turned off beeping monitors for good and padlocked the doors, making it one of the latest in a string of nearly 200 rural hospitals to close nationwide.
Indiana reports 16 more coronavirus deaths, total now at 65State health officials say 16 more people have died in Indiana from coronavirus-related illnesses, raising the state's virus death toll to 65 as its confirmed cases surged by more than 400
Trump allies warn against feud with swing state governorPresident Donald Trump's allies are trying to contain a politically risky election year fight with Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer as he struggles to balance presidential politics with a global pandemic in one of the nation's most important swing states.
A bunch of toilet paper up in smoke. Truck hauling toilet paper catches fire on Texas interstateA tractor-trailer hauling toilet paper crashed and caught fire near Dallas early Wednesday, spilling the hot commodity all over an interstate.
CNN's Chris Cuomo, with coronavirus, completes show from basementA bleary-eyed Chris Cuomo, saying he wanted to be a cautionary tale for his audience, anchored his CNN show from his basement Tuesday after testing positive for the coronavirus.
Puerto Rico shutters police stations amid COVID-19 curfewPuerto Rico has closed its fifth police station in a week as officers accuse the government of exposing one of the largest police departments in a U.S. jurisdiction to COVID-19
- 2:47 PM42 more dead from COVID-19 in Illinois, 986 more infected
- 2:32 PMMan charged in 2018 Barrington Hills fatal hit-and-run crash
- 2:25 PMFDA wants heartburn meds off the market due to contamination
- 2:24 PMWilson! Readers design creative Wilsons to keep them company during the stay-at-home order
- 2:24 PMDaily Herald wins 22 awards from Illinois Press Association
- 2:21 PMAfzal narrowly beats LaPlante to become Democratic nominee for DuPage District 4
- 2:19 PMVirus lockdown changes how Hindus celebrate holy period
More Suburban News
- McHenry CountySentencing for AJ's mom delayed
- Lake CountyLake County Board members may freeze pay due to COVID-19
- Downers GroveDuPage County planning to close field court in Downers Grove
- St. Charles'No task is ever really too small': How Fox Valley residents are helping their neighbors
- BarringtonGood News: Willow Creek Care Center adapts in time of social distancing
- Glen EllynAfzal narrowly beats LaPlante to become Democratic nominee for DuPage District 4
- Elk Grove Village2020 Arts Unlimited District 214, Daily Herald Community Art & Writing Contest winners
- NewsStevenson postpones prom; graduation, Spring Fling may follow
- Vernon HillsVernon Hills police read kids stories to stay connected
- Boys' BasketballFormer Libertyville star Peterson is leaving Rice
- McHenry CountyMcHenry County Boy Scout leaders organizing virtual campout
- Palatine'Hope is not canceled': Fremd HS staff inspires students with video
- GurneeWill suburban landlords offer rent relief to commercial tenants?
- Lake CountyLovell outpatient clinics closed
- EducationReading aloud - online - helps Mundelein teachers and students connect