Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion
The Supreme Court on Friday ended constitutional protections for abortion that had stood in America for nearly a half-century. The decision by the court's conservative majority overturned the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling and is expected to lead to abortion bans in roughly half the states.
'This is not over': Biden vows abortion fight, assails 'extreme' court rulingPresident Joe Biden said Friday that "it's a sad day for the court and the country" after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that legalized abortion nationwide.
How U.S. states have banned, limited or protected abortionThe U.S. Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that had provided a constitutional right to abortion. The ruling is expected to lead to abortion bans in roughly half the states. In anticipation of the decision, several states led by Democrats have taken steps to protect abortion access.
Last Nevada county approves primary results after hand countElected officials in a rural Nevada county became the last in the state to certify outstanding results of the June 14 primary election after a hand count of all ballots in an old mining town courthouse
To some defenders, gun ruling could right a racial wrongWhen the U.S. Supreme Court struck down New York's tight restrictions on who can carry a handgun, condemnation erupted from liberal leaders and activists
French lawmakers want abortion rights in constitutionA group of lawmakers from French President Emmanuel Macron's party is proposing a bill to inscribe abortion rights into the constitution
First presumed case of monkeypox announced in suburban Cook CountyState and local health officials announced suburban Cook County's first probable case of monkeypox Saturday.
Here we go again: Strike snarls UK trains for a third dayTrain stations are all but deserted across Britain on the third day of a national strike that snarled the weekend plans of millions
At least 20 dead in South African club; cause not yet knownSouth African police are investigating the deaths of at least 20 people at a nightclub in the coastal town of East London early Sunday morning
Explorers find WWII Navy destroyer, deepest wreck discoveredExplorers say they found the wreckage of the USS Samuel B
Destruction everywhere, help scarce after Afghanistan quakeVillagers see destruction everywhere and help in short supply days after an earthquake devastated a remote region of southeast Afghanistan and killed at least 1,150 people
- 6:26 AMLive updates | G-7 draws climate protestors demanding action
- 5:36 AMSurvivors recount Mali's deadliest attack since coup
- 3:05 AMCarpe diem: In Ukraine, war turning love into marriages
- 2:12 AMAs summit host, Spain urges NATO to watch its southern flank
- 2:08 AMIn Lebanon, how to say 'I do' sparks fierce debate
- 1:15 AMEXPLAINER: Why Germany is pushing for a 'climate club'
- 11:00 PMToday in History: June 26, first Harry Potter book published
More Suburban News
- News$300,000 bond set for a man accused of stealing running car from gas station
- WaukeganPolice: Canine helped discover 2 kilos of cocaine during traffic stop in Waukegan
- GenevaJudge to decide Monday whether to acquit Geneva man of killing wife or continue with trial
- NapervilleNaperville approves additional outdoor dining permits despite sidewalk space concerns
- PoliticsFour seek GOP nod for two DuPage County Forest Preserve seats
- Cook CountyCook County Board District 9 Democratic candidates weigh in on public safety
- AuroraTwo hospitalized with stab wounds after attack in Aurora
- AlgonquinAlgonquin park improvements to include new bandshell, playground
- McHenry CountyTadelman injects $25K loan into McHenry County sheriff's race before primary election
- NapervilleBrightside Theatre summer performance canceled
- SchaumburgNo injuries after SUV crashes into Schaumburg townhouse
- Lake CountyLake County urges residents to 'Fight the Bite'
- WheatonWheaton Mosquito Abatement District has open trustee spot
- Glen EllynGlen Ellyn voters to decide $15.9 million funding request for Sunset Pool, park projects
- Hoffman EstatesParade, fireworks highlight Northwest Fourth-Fest