Trial for US basketball star Griner begins in Moscow-area court
American basketball star Brittney Griner appeared in a Moscow-area court for trial Friday, about 4 1/2 months after she was arrested on cannabis possession charges at an airport while traveling to play for a Russian team.
Russian missiles kill at least 19 in Ukraine's Odesa regionRussian missile attacks on residential areas killed at least 19 people in a Ukrainian town near Odesa early Friday, authorities reported. The airstrikes pierced the cautious relief expressed a day earlier after Russian forces withdrew from a Black Sea island where they could have staged an assault on the city with Ukraine's biggest port.
Court leaves dwindling paths for Biden's climate missionMore than 500 days into his presidency, Joe Biden's hope for saving the Earth from the devastating effects of climate change may not be dead
European force battling extremists withdraws from MaliA European military task force fighting extremists in Mali has formally withdrawn from the West African country amid tensions with its ruling military junta
Putin's week: Facing NATO expansion, West's unity on UkraineIt hasn't been an easy week for Russian President Vladimir Putin
Rights group: Palestinians torture detainees with impunityAn international rights group says Palestinian authorities in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip systematically torture critics in detention, a practice that could amount to crimes against humanity
Ketanji Brown Jackson sworn in, becomes 1st Black woman on Supreme CourtThe 51-year-old Jackson is the court's 116th justice and she took the place Thursday of the justice she once worked for. Justice Stephen Breyer's retirement took effect at noon.
Biden backs filibuster exception to protect abortion accessPresident Joe Biden said Thursday that he would support an exception to the Senate filibuster to protect access to abortion after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.
Supreme Court limits EPA in curbing power plant emissionsIn a blow to the fight against climate change, the Supreme Court on Thursday limited how the nation's main anti-air pollution law can be used to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
Today in History: July 1, Medicare program takes effectToday in History Today is Friday, July 1, the 182nd day of 2022. There are 183 days left in the year.
Environmental justice advocates slam Supreme Court rulingThe Supreme Court decision Thursday to limit how the Environmental Protection Agency may regulate carbon dioxide emissions could make an already grave situation worse for those most affected by air pollution and climate change, community residents and advocates fear
- 11:57 AMEx-Georgetown coach gets 2 1/2 years in bribery scandal
- 11:57 AMIndiana pays nearly $520,000 to law firm for governor's suit
- 11:56 AMInternational Criminal Court marks 20th anniversary
- 11:53 AMUN talks urge faster steps to secure '˜critical' ocean health
- 11:49 AMHuntley receives proposal for new facility on south end of town
- 11:49 AMHow McHenry County might use settlement money to battle the opioid epidemic
- 11:45 AMTrial for WNBA star Brittney Griner opens in Russian court
More Suburban News
- HuntleyHuntley receives proposal for new facility on south end of town
- McHenry CountyHow McHenry County might use settlement money to battle the opioid epidemic
- StreamwoodStreamwood man dies after two-vehicle crash near La Grange Tuesday
- NapervilleNaperville reviewing landmarking procedures
- BarringtonBarrington resident launching new music festival on neighborhood porches
- AuroraAurora Downtown offers self-guided pub crawls
- WheatonMan charged with burglarizing Wheaton library cafe
- NapervilleNaperville Salute's four-day celebration starts Friday
- GenevaOverflow commuter lot in Geneva to close indefinitely
- BarringtonBarrington High School improvements get OK from village board
- MundeleinMundelein marks creation of new public gathering space
- CarpentersvilleCoroner IDs body found in river as missing Carpentersville man
- AddisonIndependence Day parades step off around the suburbs this weekend
- CrimeAuthorities looking for teen who blew up mailbox in Aurora Township
- NewsMaine East grad returns as new hoops head coach