Big voting bill faces defeat as 2 Dems won't stop filibuster
Voting legislation that Democrats and civil rights leaders say is vital for protecting democracy appeared headed for defeat as the Senate churned into debate Tuesday, a devastating setback enabled by President Joe Biden's own party as two holdout senators refuse to support rule changes to overcome a Republican filibuster.
New York attorney general says Trump's company misled banks, tax officialsThe New York attorney general says her investigators have uncovered evidence that former President Donald Trump's company used "fraudulent or misleading" valuations of its golf clubs, skyscrapers and other property to get loans and tax benefits.
U.S. begins offering free COVID test kits, but doubts persistFor the first time, all Americans can log on to a government website and order free, at-home COVID-19 tests. But the White House push may do little to ease the omicron surge, and experts say Washington will have to do a lot more to fix the country's long-troubled testing system.
Biden to highlight progress, ask for patience over setbacksPresident Joe Biden will try to talk anxious Americans through the challenges of delivering on his lengthy to-do list as he holds a rare news conference to mark his first year in office and asks for patience with recent setbacks to his lofty agenda.
Rudy Giuliani among Trump allies subpoenaed by Jan. 6 panelThe House committee investigating the U.S. Capitol insurrection has subpoenaed Rudy Giuliani and other members of Donald Trump's legal team who filed bogus legal challenges to the 2020 election that fueled the lie that race had been stolen from the former president
Major airlines cancel, change flights to US over 5G disputeMajor international airlines canceled flights heading to the U.S. or changed the planes they're using Wednesday, the latest complication in a dispute over concerns that 5G mobile phone service could interfere with aircraft technology.
UK lifts COVID restrictions, says omicron wave 'has peaked'Face masks will no longer be mandatory in public places and schools in England and COVID-19 passports will be dropped for large events as infections level off in large parts of the country, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Wednesday.
Biden to give away 400 million N95 masks starting next weekThe Biden administration will begin making 400 million N95 masks available for free to Americans starting next week, now that federal officials are emphasizing their better protection against the omicron variant of COVID-19 over cloth face coverings.
Japan widens virus curbs, including in Tokyo, as cases surgeTokyo and a dozen other areas in Japan will face new coronavirus restrictions effective Friday, with local leaders shortening hours for restaurants, as omicron cases hit a record high in the capital
EXPLAINER: Why Tonga eruption was so big and what's nextThe eruption of the undersea volcano near Tonga over the weekend was incredibly explosive but also relatively brief
Doctor goes on trial in Germany accused of torture in SyriaA court in Germany has begun hearing a case against a Syrian doctor accused of crimes against humanity for torturing and killing inmates at a government-run prison and two military hospitals in his home country
Family seeks to sue Lebanon over dead father's captivityA recent development may open a path forward for an ambitious lawsuit filed by the family of a deceased Lebanese American man over allegations that Lebanon's security agency kidnapped and tortured him
- 2:27 PMDA: Investigators blew chances in case of Durst wife's death
- 2:17 PMCanadian fashion mogul Peter Nygard denied bail in Toronto
- 2:08 PMIn wealthy LA enclave, harsher penalties for wasting water
- 2:03 PMRio de Janeiro police move to regain control of some favelas
- 1:58 PMUAE envoy: Yemen's Houthis used missiles in Abu Dhabi attack
- 1:58 PMWoman killed in subway shove at Times Square
- 1:44 PMJewish leaders renew antisemitism fight after hostage case
More Suburban News
- NewsSt. Charles District 303 picks search firm to find superintendent's successor
- AlgonquinCASA of McHenry County needs volunteers
- Des PlainesDes Plaines mayor tests positive for COVID-19
- North BarringtonFire damages deck at North Barrington house
- Green OaksHelp sought in identifying Green Oaks carjacking suspects
- BataviaBatavia OKs new contract for police patrol officers
- McHenry CountyMcHenry County Board approves new regional superintendent
- WheatonWheaton man pleads guilty to elbowing cop in head during DUI arrest
- Girls' BasketballSwanson scores career-high 40 as Barrington topples Fremd
- Girls' BasketballSchaumburg gets past Palatine
- Boys' BasketballWheeler-Thomas scores 38, leads Larkin by Bartlett
- Girls' GymnasticsOyen's performance sparks Buffalo Grove to victory
- Boys' BasketballStreaking Willowbrook wins 9th straight
- Buffalo GroveBuffalo Grove trustees reject vaccine mandate for themselves, appointed officials
- Villa Park$1 million winning Lotto ticket sold in Villa Park