Big voting bill faces defeat as 2 Dems won't stop filibuster
Voting legislation that Democrats and civil rights leaders say is vital for protecting democracy appeared headed for defeat as the Senate churned into debate Tuesday, a devastating setback enabled by President Joe Biden's own party as two holdout senators refuse to support rule changes to overcome a Republican filibuster.
New York attorney general says Trump's company misled banks, tax officialsThe New York attorney general's office late Tuesday told a court its investigators had uncovered evidence that former President Donald Trump's company used "fraudulent or misleading" asset valuations to get loans and tax benefits.
U.S. begins offering free COVID test kits, but doubts persistFor the first time, all Americans can log on to a government website and order free, at-home COVID-19 tests. But the White House push may do little to ease the omicron surge, and experts say Washington will have to do a lot more to fix the country's long-troubled testing system.
Rudy Giuliani among Trump allies subpoenaed by Jan. 6 panelThe House committee investigating the U.S. Capitol insurrection has subpoenaed Rudy Giuliani and other members of Donald Trump's legal team who filed bogus legal challenges to the 2020 election that fueled the lie that race had been stolen from the former president
UK lifts COVID restrictions, says omicron wave 'has peaked'Face masks will no longer be mandatory in public places and schools in England and COVID-19 passports will be dropped for large events as infections level off in large parts of the country, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Wednesday.
Biden to give away 400 million N95 masks starting next weekThe Biden administration will begin making 400 million N95 masks available for free to Americans starting next week, now that federal officials are emphasizing their better protection against the omicron variant of COVID-19 over cloth face coverings.
Japan widens virus curbs, including in Tokyo, as cases surgeTokyo and a dozen other areas in Japan will face new coronavirus restrictions effective Friday, with local leaders shortening hours for restaurants, as omicron cases hit a record high in the capital
EXPLAINER: Why Tonga eruption was so big and what's nextThe eruption of the undersea volcano near Tonga over the weekend was incredibly explosive but also relatively brief
Doctor goes on trial in Germany accused of torture in SyriaA court in Germany has begun hearing a case against a Syrian doctor accused of crimes against humanity for torturing and killing inmates at a government-run prison and two military hospitals in his home country
Family seeks to sue Lebanon over dead father's captivityA recent development may open a path forward for an ambitious lawsuit filed by the family of a deceased Lebanese American man over allegations that Lebanon's security agency kidnapped and tortured him
Is it better to wear an N95 or cloth mask right now?Health experts suggest stepping up protection against omicron with N95s, KN95s or similar masks
- 2:03 PMRio de Janeiro police move to regain control of some favelas
- 1:58 PMUAE envoy: Yemen's Houthis used missiles in Abu Dhabi attack
- 1:58 PMWoman killed in subway shove at Times Square
- 1:44 PMJewish leaders renew antisemitism fight after hostage case
- 1:29 PMMan accused of fatal subway shove arraigned on murder charge
- 1:06 PMPioneering fashion journalist André Leon Talley dies at 73
- 1:00 PMWhite House: Texas hostage-taker had raised no red flags
More Suburban News
- NewsSt. Charles District 303 picks search firm to find superintendent's successor
- SchaumburgDeal would require trucking firm to buy property in Schaumburg by March 31
- Prospect HeightsAviation company presents its plan for new hangar at Chicago Executive Airport
- AlgonquinCASA of McHenry County needs volunteers
- Des PlainesDes Plaines mayor tests positive for COVID-19
- North BarringtonFire damages deck at North Barrington house
- Green OaksHelp sought in identifying Green Oaks carjacking suspects
- NapervilleEx-husband kills woman, himself, Naperville police say
- Des PlainesArrests made in Des Plaines armed robbery, theft
- CaryCary, Lake in the Hills pursuing legal action over contaminated wells
- McHenry CountyMcHenry County Board approves new regional superintendent
- BataviaTakei memoir selected for One Book, One Batavia
- WheatonWheaton man pleads guilty to elbowing cop in head during DUI arrest
- Girls' BasketballSwanson scores career-high 40 as Barrington topples Fremd
- Girls' BasketballSchaumburg gets past Palatine