Local hot spots
There is no escaping it -- road work season is back. Here are some key local projects to know about so you can -- with any luck -- avoid traffic jams.
Cook County• Reconstructing and improving Lake-Cook Road between Raupp Boulevard and Hasting Lane in Buffalo Grove and Wheeling. Related work this year includes rebuilding southbound lanes of Buffalo Grove Road and Route 83 and completing work on Weiland Road from Route 83 to Woodstone Drive.
• Resurfacing Palatine Road from Route 62 in South Barrington to Roselle Road in Inverness and Palatine.
• Resurfacing Ballard Road from Rand Road in Des Plaines to Greenwood Road in Niles.
• Resurfacing Route 83 from Higgins Road in Elk Grove Village to Golf Road in Mount Prospect.
• Improving the intersection of Willow and Pfingsten roads in Glenview.
• Resurfacing on Arlington Heights Road between Higgins and Palatine roads in Arlington Heights.
DuPage County• Replacing the Deerpath Road bridge over the Reagan Memorial Tollway (I-88) in Aurora.
• Resurfacing Route 83 between Wood Dale and Burr Ridge.
• Resurfacing on Grand Avenue between Lake Street and County Line Road in Elmhurst and Bensenville.
• Improving intersections and resurfacing on 31st Street between Meyers and York roads in Oak Brook.
• Repairing bridge on Mill Street over I-88 in Naperville.
• Resurfacing on Maple Avenue/Chicago Avenue in Lisle and Naperville.
• Resurfacing on Schmale Road in Carol Stream.
Lake County• Widening and rebuilding Weiland Road between Deerfield Parkway and Aptakisic roads in Buffalo Grove.
• Widening and rebuilding Buffalo Grove Road between Route 22 and Deerfield Parkway in Buffalo Grove.
• Improving 14th Street in North Chicago between Route 131 and Jackson Street.
• Resurfacing on Millburn/Grass Lake Road between Deep Lake and Hunt Club roads.
• Building a roundabout at Fairfield Road and Monaville Road in Lake Villa Township.
• Resurfacing on Route 60 from the Des Plaines River to Riverwoods Road in Mettawa.
Kane County• Resurfacing on Route 31 in West Dundee and Aurora.
• Improving safety at the Fabyan Parkway and Route 31 interchange.
• Improving safety on Orchard Road between Jericho Road and Route 30 in Aurora Township.
• Building a roundabout at Bliss Road/Fabyan Parkway/Main Street in Blackberry Township.
• Reconstructing the intersection at Kirk and Dunham roads in St. Charles.
McHenry County• Reconstructing Algonquin Road from Harvest Gate to Oakleaf Road in Algonquin.
• Resurfacing on Ackman Road in Lake in the Hills.
• Resurfacing on Kishwaukee Valley Road, west of Route 23 in Marengo Township.
• Resurfacing on Vermont Road near Franklinville Road in Woodstock.
Daily Herald Staff Writers Marni Pyke and Mick Zawislak contributed to this report.